Altoona First-Year Engagement Plan

Altoona FYE PLan (PDF)

FORM B
*Use this form if your campus’s First-Year Engagement Plan DOES NOT REQUIRE a First-Year Seminar of all students.
First-Year Engagement Plan Submission Form
Commonwealth Campuses

Submission Date: April 27, 2009
Submitted By: Harriett Gaston
Title: DUS Minority Programs Counselor
Campus: Altoona
Email: hlg5@psu.edu

1. How will small-classroom experiences taught by full-time faculty members be achieved for all first-year students in your unit? If the unit will be offering various options, describe.
Example: all students will be required to take either (a) a first-year seminar; or (b) a section of another course that is taught by a full-time faculty member in a class size no more than 25; or (c) a recitation section of a lecture course, with the recitation taught by a full-time faculty member and a class size no more than 25; etc. (Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.)

Due to the small size of our college, in Fall 2008, 73% of our students took at least one class with 25 or fewer students that was taught by a full-time faculty member allowing them to directly interact with their instructor. It is expected that the remaining 27% are enrolled in a course meeting these requirements in the Spring 2009 semester. In the future, every student will be required to take at least one course with a full-time faculty member in a class size no larger than 25 within their first year of college.

2. How many credits will such courses carry? If variable, explain. (Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.)

Three (3) Credits

3. Supplemental programming: Identify and briefly describe the additional components (other than the small-class experience) that you plan to offer, such as other courses, special advising programs, intensive orientation experiences, special programs offered by Student Affairs, etc., to meet the goals and objectives of the First-Year Engagement Plan: (Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.)

Students will also be required to complete some web-based training (using ANGEL) to gain competency and understanding within the following areas: University Study and Academic Community and Fields of Study. The students will be required to take and pass a quiz before moving on to the next component. Students will be required to attend 7 seminars dealing with campus resources. The number of students attending each of these seminars will vary depending on the nature of the material.

4. Assessment plan. How will you assess the extent to which the First-Year Engagement goals and objectives are met? (Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.)

Assessment of the effectiveness of first year engagement is determined by the graded work from ANGEL, on student surveys administered at the end of their first year, other surveys such as NSSE administered in a student’s senior year, having focus groups in the sophomore and junior year to evaluate the engagement plans’ goals and objectives and other assessment tools, which we find useful to address and evaluate these goals and objectives.