37-30 Entrance to and Changes in Major Programs of Study-ARCHIVE

ARCHIVE – before 10/27/15 revisions

  1. A candidate seeking entrance to a major or desiring to change from one college to another, or from one major to another, or from the Division of Undergraduate Studies to a college, may do so provided any enrollment ceilings of the college or major have not been reached and provided the candidate satisfies the following minimum academic requirements:
    • Meets the entrance requirements (Carnegie Units) of the college the student wishes to enter.
    • Demonstrates at least a C (2.00) cumulative average for all courses taken at the University subject to the conditions of Section 51-50.
    • Satisfies any additional academic requirements that have been proposed by the college or the major and approved by the dean of the college and the University Faculty Senate Committee on Undergraduate Education. Requirements for entrance to a college shall be those in effect at the time of the student’s most recent admission to degree candidacy (see Section 82-20). The candidate also must obtain certification from the dean of the college in which the candidate desires to enroll that all entrance to major and change of college requirements have been met.
    • The dean of the college, with the approval of the program faculty, may approve exceptions for individual students for entrance to a college or major that is deemed academically appropriate, provided no students meeting criteria a, b, and c are being denied entrance because of enrollment ceilings.
    • Apply no more than 91 credits of previous work toward a degree in the new college. Exceptions would be allowed under senate policy 37-30 (1)(d), provided any controlled majors had not reached approved control limits.
  2. The dean of the college, in accordance with the policies and procedures of the college or major, may require that a student enrolled in the college gain entrance to a major at the beginning of either the student’s third or fourth semester and no later than prior to the beginning of the fifth-semester classification. A student who fails to gain entrance to a major prior to the semester classification specified by the college may be required to dis-enroll from the college at the discretion of the dean (see Section 54-56.1).
  3. A candidate desiring to change from a college or major to the Division of Undergraduate Studies must obtain the approval of the director of the Division of Undergraduate Studies.
  4. As soon as a change of major is approved at the dean’s level. the administrative responsibility for the student is transferred, and a new adviser is appointed. In most circumstances, an approved change of major is then entered into the academic records database, though not during a final examination period. However, an approved change either between a two-year and a four-year program or between degree and non-degree status for an enrolled student may not be entered in the academic records database after the end of the add period or before the end of the subsequent final examination period. For each grade reporting period, the transcript will show the student’s recorded major at the time the grades are reported

D-1 Entrance to College and Lower Division Campus
D-2 Entrance to Major and Upper Division Campus
D-3 Change of Major

Revised: 3/5/53 (as Rule D-1)
Revised: 9/9/75
Revised: 4/4/78
Revised: 2/5/80
Revised: 1/19/93
Revised: 10/21/97
Revised: 3/16/10