Date: May 28, 2015
- Asad Azemi email@example.com
- Linda Caldwell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph Chletsos email@example.com
- Dennis Gouran firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renata Engel email@example.com
- Yvonne Gaudelius firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jose Antonio Guerrero email@example.com
- Michele Kirsch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patricia Koch email@example.com
- Jonna M. Kulikowich firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linda LaSalle email@example.com
- Peggy Lorah firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emily McDonald email@example.com
- Kim S. Menard firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph Puzycki email@example.com
- Timothy Pyatt firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daad Rizk email@example.com
- Careen Yarnal firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nicole Webster email@example.com
From: Mohamad A. Ansari
Robert N. Pangborn
Subject: Appointment of the Special Joint Committee on First- Year Students’ Well-being and Safety
On July 2, 2014, President Eric Barron announced the appointment of the Task Force on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment. The President said, “Our efforts have included preventive and educational awareness programming, the creation of policies and procedures for responding to complaints of sexual harassment and sexual assault, and provisions for counseling and other services to assist survivors of sexual violence.” The President acknowledged the University’s multiple reporting systems, its investigation of complaints, its coordinated efforts with the criminal justice system, and the remedies and sanctions already meted out by the University itself.
On February 16, 2015, President Barron announced his acceptance of the Task Force Report on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment. In response to the President’s Memo, (March 9, 2015 attached), addressed to Vice Presidents Pangborn and Sims and the University Faculty Senate Chair Kulikowich, a Joint Senate-Administrative Special Committee is being appointed for implementation of the following important initiatives.
The Joint Special Committee on First-Year Students’ Well-being and Safety is charged to develop a curricular or co-curricular “learning pathway” with respect to educational programming for first-year students. More specifically, the Joint Special Committee is charged to:
- Explore issues of well-being and safety, with an emphasis on building positive relationships and preventing sexual misconduct and alcohol misuse;
- Explore issues of Financial literacy, diversity and inclusion, and business of life;
- Consult and maintain liaison with the University Faculty Senate Standing Committees on Curricular Affairs, Student Life, and Undergraduate Education; and
- Forward reports, prior to submission to the Senate Council, to the University Faculty Senate Standing Committees on Curricular Affairs, Student Life, and Undergraduate Education for consultation.
The Special Joint Committee will be expected to present its work as follows:
Prepare a Forensic Report for the University Faculty Senate Plenary meeting of December 8, 2015.
Prepare a Legislative Report for the University Faculty Senate Plenary meeting of March 15, 2015.
Please indicate your willingness to serve on this Joint Special Committee to Nichole Schlegel (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday June 8, 2015. The University Faculty Senate will be in touch with you in the near future to schedule the Charge meeting for the group.
We thank you for your kind consideration of this request.
CC: Eric J. Barron
Nicholas P. Jones
James A. Strauss