- Faculty Athletics Representative Position Description
- Annual Faculty Athletics Representatives Report (PDF)
- Faculty Athletics Representatives Association
- Standing Rules
- Dennis Scanlon, Faculty Athletics Rep. to the NCAA
- Ellen Murray Brennan, Faculty Athletics Rep., Abington
- Victor Brunsden, Faculty Athletics Rep., Altoona
- Mahdi Nasereddin, Faculty Athletics Rep., Berks
- Charles Brown, Faculty Athletics Rep., Erie
- Joseph Cecere, Faculty Athletics Rep., Harrisburg
- Joann Jankoski, Faculty Athletics Rep., PSU Athletic Conference (PSUAC); Fayette
Faculty Athletics Representatives
(a) Faculty Athletics Representative: The Faculty Athletics Representative shall be appointed by the President following nomination by the Committee on Committees and Rules of the Faculty Senate. The representative shall be a tenured full Professor at University Park with a full-time faculty appointment.
(1) The term of appointment shall be five years and is renewable. Reappointment by the President requires prior endorsement by the Committee on Committees and Rules of the Faculty Senate.
(2) The Faculty Athletics Representative for University Park shall serve under the direction of the President and represent the faculty in all matters related to varsity athletics at University Park . The representative shall serve as an ex officio member of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics and as the primary liaison between the Athletic Director and the Faculty Senate. Under the direction of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics and in accord with Policies and Procedures for Students, Section 67-00, and in compliance with Big Ten and NCAA rules, the representative will act on behalf of the University faculty to certify eligibility for competition and financial aid; approve minor exceptions to 67-00 normal progress and GPA policies; approve waivers for outside competition; assist student athletes in pursuing and receiving academic awards; review proposed NCAA and Big Ten legislation and assist in developing an institutional position on such matters; review forms and documents related to compliance with 67-00, Big Ten, and NCAA rules; administer the NCAA Coaching Certification examination; facilitate research and data collection related to intercollegiate athletics, in general, and the academic status of student athletes, specifically; assist in preparing waivers related to NCAA and Big Ten rules; consult with the President, Athletic Director, and faculty regarding any matters related to the general status of intercollegiate athletics; participate in investigations of possible rule infractions; and represent Penn State at NCAA, Big Ten, and other appropriate meetings or conventions. After consultation with the chair of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics, the Faculty Athletics Representative may approve minor exceptions to committee-approved University Park intercollegiate athletic schedules. The representative will also report to the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics all University Park varsity athletic schedules prior to the beginning of the sport season and schedule changes as they occur, all excused class absences for athletic teams each semester, and academic eligibility of athletes for both grade-point deficiency and normal progress each semester.
(3) The Faculty Athletics Representative will present to the Senate annually a summary of the year’s activities.
(4) He/she will also advise Faculty Athletics Representatives at campuses other than University Park , as appropriate.
(b) Faculty Athletics Representatives (other than University Park) shall be appointed by the chancellor of each campus that participates in any National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) programs following nomination by the campus faculty organization, to act for the faculty of that campus. The Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) should use the same process to appoint a Faculty Athletics Representative for all Penn State locations that participate in two-year intercollegiate athletic associations. The Faculty Athletics Representatives shall be tenured full-time Penn State faculty members from their respective campuses.
(1) The term of appointment shall be five years (renewable) and reviewed by the appropriate administrative officers in consultation with the committees or faculty organizations at the end of each term.
(2) The Faculty Athletics Representatives shall act for their respective faculties in accord with Academic Policies and Procedures for Undergraduate Students, Section 67-00, and present a summary of activities annually to the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics. The Faculty Athletics Representatives also serve as ex-officio members of the extra-senatorial Committee on Campus Athletics. The Faculty Athletics Representatives shall also serve, under the direction of the appropriate administrative officers of their campus, as the representative to the appropriate intercollegiate athletic associations.