Meeting Minutes

Outreach


September 12, 2017

Members Present: Timothy Eden, Renata Engel, Terry Harrison, Alex Hristov, Lisa Mangel, Brad Garrett (student representative–College of Agriculture)

Members Absent: Dennis Calvin, Jill Eckert, Cristina Truica

Chair Mangel called the meeting to order at 8:47 AM.

I. CALL TO ORDER

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

25 April 2017 minutes approved with no changes.

III. ANNOUNCEMENTS

  1. Introductions
  2. Officers and Chairs meeting review

IV.OLD BUSINESS

  1. Review of World Campus reports from the 25 April 2017 meeting

V. NEW BUSINESS

  1. Discussion of 2017-2018 charges, especially A1.

VI. ADJOURN

The meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m.

Terry Harrison


April 25, 2017

Members Present: Beth Seymour, Renata Engel, Lisa Mangel, Dennis Calvin, Alex Hristov, Terry Harrison, Cristina Truica, John Potochny, Anne Douds, Richard Brown

Members Absent: Rama Radhakrishna, Jonathan Stephens, Jill Eckert

Guests: Julie Cross, Jon Emigh

  1. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 8:33 a.m. by Chair Seymour.
  2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: March 21, 2017 minutes approved with no changes.
  3. ANNOUNCEMENTS
    1. Introductions
    2. Officers and Chairs meeting
  4. OLD BUSINESS
    1. Presentation on academic extension in preparation for Senate session.
    2. New extension units (7 total)
    3. These units flow to the FDA with corresponding academic units
    4. New product lines such as articles, webinars, workshops, videos, courses, etc
    5. Customer and Stakeholder Relations (local relationships, country boards, etc). 10 new Client Relations Managers to manage these relationships.
    6. New Structure
      1. Operational infrastructure…20 districts to 10
      2. Hiring 10 Business Operations Managers that will be the point of contact for HR, Financial, Operations, and Facilities
  5. Financial Changes
    1. Changes needed because of the history of the unit’s relationship with the university
  • New Platform (Atlas)
    1. Integrated with Salesforce, Plone, cvent, Magento, and edX
  • New website demonstration by guest
  • Discussion
    1. Question about central resources, copyrights and short course outcomes
      1. Extension is using Qualtrics
      • World and Commonwealth Campuses Reports
        1. Reviewed report and charts offered
          1. Review of the colored bar charts
      • Discussion
        1. Break down the data by zip code or demographics
        2. Adjust for normal growth
        3. Should we treat graduate and undergraduate metrics the same?
        4. Break down data by campus
        5. How are residential instruction and WC different?
        6. In the future, is live instruction going to hollow out the physical plant?
      • New Business
      • Adjourn
      • The meeting adjourned at 9:52 a.m.

March 14, 2017 (Rescheduled for March 21, 2017)

Chair Seymour called the meeting to order at 8:33 AM.

Members Present: Beth Seymour, Lisa Mangel, Renata Engel, Alex Hristov, Terry Harrison, Cristina Truica, Rama Radhakrishna, Jonathan Stephans

Members Absent: John Potochny, Jill Eckert, Anne Douds, Jonathan Stephens, Dennis Calvin

Guests: Julie Cross

APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approval of the January 24th minutes with changes

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Introductions
Officers and Chairs meeting

OLD BUSINESS
World Campus and Commonwealth Campuses report – Advisory and Consultative – update – postpone report until September 2017

      1. Data is designed for revenue purposes but what are the questions for this report?
      2. Want to project forward the impact of World Campus – What is the growth of World Campus in comparison to other campuses?
      3. What is the definition of enrollment?
      4. Currently tuition is the same for instate, out of state, and international in addition there is reduced tuition for companies with corporation alliance
      5. Committee members are to brainstorm and discuss (at the April meeting) potential questions to be answered

Cooperative Extension Informational report

      1. Vote to decide to sponsor – 6 yes, 1 abstention
      2. The 2017-2018 committee should look into this type of report in more depth
      3. What is the rational for this type of report? – currently the report is one sided

NEW BUSINESS
None

The meeting adjourned at 9:34 AM.

back to top


January 24, 2017

Minutes for Meeting 4, 24 January 2017

Chair Seymour called the meeting to order at 8:35 AM.

Members Present: Beth Seymour, Lisa Mangel, Dennis Calvin, Alex Hristov, Terry Harrison, Cristina Truica, John Potochny

Members Absent:  Beth King, Rama Radhakrishna, Jill Eckert, Jennifer Krempa, Anne Douds,Jonathan Stephens, Renata Engel

Guests: Traci Piazza, Mickey Bellet, Stephen Holoviak

    1. CALL TO ORDER
    2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
      December 6, 2016 minutes approved with no changes.
    3. ANNOUNCEMENTS
      1. Introductions
      2. Officers and Chairs meeting
    4. OLD BUSINESS
      1. A3: On-line course delivery informational report – update
        1. Edits were suggested on page 3.
        2. We should make a distinction in Section 5 that this is campus wide and not just for the Commonwealth campuses.
        3. It was suggested to add the Smeal College of Business in Section 5.
        4. Terry Harrison moved to accept the document with the suggested edits, Richard Brown seconded the motion and all voted in favor.
      2. A1: Update on New Members document for CC&R
        1. Beth Seymour informed the committee that five of the committees’ (Outreach being one of them) Constitutional changes were delayed.
        2. CC&R was discussing this further on January 24, 2017.
      3. A7: Best Practices for on-line delivery of courses at PSU – Forensic today
        1. No discussion on this matter.
      4. A5: PSU summer programs focused on underrepresented students grades 9-12 – Advisory and Consultative, presentation by Stephen Holoviak, Senior Director EOC & Talent Search Programs and Mickey Bellet, Director Upward Bound Programs and discussion of the report.
        1. This is a charge for us and EECE.
        2. We will give feedback and submit an advisory and consultative report within 10 days to see if we approve of it.
        3. Discussion about who the stakeholders are with respect to this program. It was suggested that it would be broader than just high school students. For example, low income students, veterans, etc.
        4. This entity is part of the university but externally funded.
        5. Housed under Educational Equity, moved in 2003 from Undergraduate Education.
        6. The guests asserted that the program dropped out of the Philadelphia area for a number of reasons:
        7. Instability of the Philadelphia School District.
        8. Many of the schools have a separate Upward Bound program.
      5. The guests were asked how they actually went ahead changing things things through the program.
        1. As an example, the guests said they have helped with issues such as structural changes to the high schools they deal with (i.e. build out).
      6. The guests were asked what the program was doing for low income students specifically?
        1. Guests said they serve students from the start of the student’s entry into the program until college
        2. Work with school directors
        3. Full Saturday programs
      7. The guests asked how the program was able to pick students out of all of the low income student population
        1. The guests stated that they present the program attributes to all 9th graders.
        2. This is followed by an application, an interview and family buy-in.
        3. If chosen, the students are expected to partake in the summer experience at University Park.
      8. The guests were asked about the difference in room and board from last year to this year.
        1. Mickey Bellet said this was a major problem because the costs have gone up 70 percent.
          1. It was suggested using the PSU alumni network for housing and Mickey Bellet said that in the “age of Sandusky” that would not be allowed. She mentioned AD-39.
          2. It was suggested to look into 4H because they have 8,700 members, all of whom have clearance.
      9. It was asked if the university had any supplemental funds for the Program
        1. The guests said there are partnerships but no real funding
      10. The committee gave the guests some critique of their proposal with some suggested changes
        1. Make the request clearer and remove some tables
      11. The committee approved that this will be an advisory and consultative report that goes to the Senate and it would be co-supported by EECE
        1. Terry Harrison moved, Cristina Truica seconded the motion and all approved.
    5. Adult Learner Forensic, update and scheduled for March meeting (Commission for Adult Learners)
      1. Discussion on Adult Learners
        1. It was agreed that it would be better to have adult learners with specific questions.
        2. There was a brief discussion about the heterogeneity of the adult learners as referenced in the document (i.e. military vs. someone who has been a homemaker for 10 years)
        3. We will look to get a charge for the Outreach Committee for 2017-2018 that delves deeper into this issue.
        4. The committee moved and voted on approving this as a forensic for the next Plenary meeting.
    6. A6: Cooperative Extension report – Informational – April meeting
      1. Postponed until the April 2017 meeting.
      2. It was determined that we would hold our committee meeting in Extension offices at the April meeting.
    7. A4: World Campus and Commonwealth Campuses report – Advisory and Consultative – update, schedule for April meeting
      1. It was noted that we need to see this document in advance since the Outreach Committee is sponsoring the report if we are going to be able to approve it for inclusion on the April agenda.
    • New Business – none
    • Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 9:44 a.m.

back to top


December 6, 2016

Chair Seymour called the meeting to order at 8:33 AM.

Members Present: Beth Seymour, Beth King, Lisa Mangel, Renata Engel, Dennis Calvin, Anne Douds, John Potochny, Alex Hristov, Clarabelle Lin (administrative fellow), Terry Harrison, Cristina Truica

Members Absent:  Richard Brown, Rama Radhakrishna, Jill Eckert, Craig Weidemann, Brad Garrett, Jennifer Krempa

Guests: Julie Cross

  1. CALL TO ORDER
  2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: October 18, 2016 minutes approved with a couple spelling changes.
  3. ANNOUNCEMENTS
    1. Introduction of Julie Cross
    2. Officers and Chairs meeting discussion – discussion about extra game in athletics, two reports regarding fixed term faculty are pending, and a special Senate committee on engaged scholarship has been formed. There was discussion concerning how the new committee on engaged scholarship will be different from the work of the last few years – a concern that we not reinvent the wheel. The charge for the new committee is to resume the work of last year’s committee with new recommendations.
  4. OLD BUSINESS
    1. A1: New Members Document for CC&R
      1. There was a discussion on what to replace, Council on Engaged Scholarship with, as that body has now disbanded. The current engaged scholarship initiative is still evolving. There are multiple groups working on it and we don’t know what they will end up creating. So we opted for the language: “The bodies that are addressing engaged scholarship”. Motion to approve the changes to CC&R. Approved.
    2. A7: Best Practices for on-line delivery of courses at PSU – Forensic
      1. This forensic and discussion is broader than just online delivery of courses. Developing mastery depends on the type of class. The Online Coordinating Council is composed of people who lead teams of instructional designers. Going it alone is not an efficient way to do this. Where people look for expertise varies even in a particular discipline. We need to elevate awareness of where the resources are. Quality Matters is a nationally recognized group and have peer review of courses. We’ve never been a member of Quality Matters, but we are piloting it this year. We adopted some of their principles prior to becoming members.
      2. We talk about one university, geographically dispersed. Where I am, online and resident instruction aren’t treated the same. It’s hard to use an SRTE in an online course. Asked if it would be possible to get a statement that clarifies that there isn’t a university statement about how online and resident teaching is distinguished?
      3. These resources are available to everyone. Chair Seymour reminded us that this is a forensic report, so the goal is to generate discussion on the topic from the Senate.
      4. The committee requested more information on Quality Matters. https://www.qualitymatters.org/
      5. It was decided to change the word “requirement” to “requirement or recommendation” in the question.
      6. Under #4, can we include some specifics about what the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences does? Some discussion about the SRTE question choices. We want to make sure people can find that set of questions from which we can choose.
      7. There was a discussion about peer reviews, and it became clear that they are often not done for tenured faculty. Five year reviews are done differently in different colleges.
      8. If we think about – do our online courses get evaluated? We can assume the online classes aren’t getting reviewed as often as the resident classes.
      9. Making people aware elevates the opportunities and importance of sharing information.
      10. Who will be presenting this? Chair Seymour: It probably should be you or someone from that committee. Engel will ask who from the group is willing to present with her.
      11. Chair Seymour asked for a motion to approve (with the three proposed changes). Approved.
    3. A3: Online course delivery informational report
      1. Chair Seymour: the draft isn’t ready yet. We hope to have it ready for the March agenda (discuss at the January meeting). The report is still envisioned as a 10,000 foot view of the topic within as little as 6 to 7 pages. Hristov offered to help. There are many different models and budget models – planning to cover some of the basic ones.
    4. A6: Cooperative Extension report – Informational
      1. Calvin: I still need to finish that. It will focus on the shift in our administrative structure and the use of Atlas. March is the target. The longer presentation will be given in March or April, depending on his schedule.
    5. A4: World Campus and Commonwealth Campuses report – Advisory and Consultative
      1. Clarabelle, Julie, Anne and Renata met about this. University Park is able to offer more graduate programs than the Commonwealth campuses because of the nature of its mission. General undergraduate portfolios have been aligned with the programs who took the lead on those from the beginning. Students show up in multiple columns making tracking difficult. The faculty teaching those classes are from across the university. We can’t forecast where the faculty will come from, but we can forecast enrollments. The university will need to have that information as we move forward with planning new degrees or shifting focus from older degrees. Even though the focus will be on the World Campus programs and World Campus students, they are also trying to look at resident students enrolling in World Campus, and where they are located residentially to see if there are any patterns.
      2. We are looking at presenting some case studies that show different scenarios to contextualize why the plots look like they do.
      3. We will look at two programs – one offered online and one (the same program) offered in residence and compare those. It seems that the World Campus is fusing different programs together. Students don’t see the distinction between the different units offering the courses – it is all just Penn State to them. Exploring the faculty issue will be interesting, as we are not sure where all of the faculty are located and what else they might teach. There are so many questions – course load and supplemental pay, etc. This will be an April report.
      4. We are also going to discuss the process for new World Campus programs.
    6. A5: PSU summer programs focused on underrepresented students grades 9-12 – Advisory and Consultative
      1. That is being drafted. We hope to have a rough draft soon and present it in March. Chair Seymour said there might be some information from the Transforming Education committee that will be added to this report.
    7. NEW BUSINESS
      1. Chair Seymour: I’m on the Commission for Adult Learners and we asked Jim if some adult learners can participate in a Senate meeting. We would like to their presentation into a forensic (Martha Jordan will produce the forensic document for us). It will be about how to address the needs of adult learners. The group liked the idea. It will be January or March. We voted to support a forensic of adult learners. Approved.
    8. The meeting was adjourned at 9:49 AM.
      Beth King
      back to top


      October 18, 2016

      Chair Seymour called the meeting to order at 8:30 AM.

      Members Present:  Beth Seymour, Beth King, Dennis Calvin, Brad Garrett, John Potochny, Richard Brown, Jennifer Krempa (for Craig Weidemann), Rama Radhakrishna, Terry Harrison, Cristina Truica, Lisa Mangel, Renata Engel, Anne Douds

      Members Absent:  Alex Hristov, Jill Eckert, Craig Weidemann.

      Guests: Clarabelle Lin (administrative fellow, Craig Weidemann)

      1. CALL TO ORDER
      2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES April 19, 2016 minutes approved with one change 3b (changed Robert to Richard)
      3. Announcements
        1. Introductions
        2. Officers and Chairs meeting discussion – conversation about the new assessment office playing a role in the various committees
        3. Chair Seymour discussed the Senate plenary agenda
          1. Motion to move to CC&R to reflect our changes
          2. It was noted that the Provost and the President’s remarks take up a lot of time at the plenary. Asked for the chair to carry that message back to the Senate chair.
          3. Discussion about the smoking policy and how long a change to policy takes at other places. Some campuses (Harrisburg for one) – already have a non-policy doesn’t seem to be enforced. We then had a discussion about the difficulty of enforcing policy vs law.
          4. There will be a Science U presentation today
      4. OLD BUSINESS
        1. Online course delivery informational report
          1. At the last meeting, we discussed staying out of the weeds and looking at just online and for credit education. Chair Seymour discussed the report with Craig Weidemann, who mentioned that the Provost is planning to charge a Task Force to look into the same question, though likely in a more granular fashion with recommendations included. Our committee’s work can be preliminary for that report. We looked at the Online Options on the Web Learning web site. Brown asked if any PSU MOOCs are for credit yet. Engel joined later and contributed to the discussion about MOOCs. There aren’t any offered for credit now. There was one MOCC at some point in the College of Liberal Arts. Penn State is working with Coursera and Future Learn. Arts and Architecture has been looking at a discipline specific platform. Agreed to have the subcommittee continue with that plan. We hope to have this report ready for January.
        2. World campus development and the Commonwealth Campuses
          1.  Krempa told us about the taskforce for the Framework of the Future for Online Learning and World Campus. The goal is to have some sort of framework about who we want to be as a major producer on online education in the future. Looking at trends in online learning. Engel said it has been officially charged.
          2. Considering embedding the World Campus enrollments with the University Park and Commonwealth Campus enrollments (A4).
          3. Clarabelle (Craig’s administrative fellow) is involved with projections out to 2025.
          4. Engel – faculty data is historically harder to capture. (i.e. How are faculty distributed?), so looking at some aspect of that might be good to include. Also thinking about on-load and off-load. Or maybe providing the break-down of who is participating in faculty development. OL Courses for example. Anne Douds will join that group with Renata to help work on a report for the committee to consider. We are hopeful for a report date of January or March.
        3. PSU summer programs focused on underrepresented students grades 9-12
          1. Chair Seymour has been working with Rob Loeb and the Committee for Educational Equity and Campus Environment to get this report generated. We are getting information on the Trio and Upward Bound programs, including recommendations for the future. It looks like there are some difficulties with Housing and Food Services that we are likely to see. The report date for this is likely March.
        4. Cooperative Extension report – Informational (agsci.psu.edu/atlas/proof)
          1. Dennis Calvin talked about Atlas – an online content management system. It has a sales force built in. The Atlas Umbrella – (CRM, Products, E-commerce) with 300,000 unique customers + 200,000 4H members + master gardeners (3200). This will go live in late November. He will present about this again (30 minutes) in December or January for our committee, in preparation for the Plenary report in either January of March. Engel asked if the customers are looking for a credential. Calvin – no, not really. Some resources are for CEUs, but most customers just want information. Calvin then explained the budget of Penn State extension: 72 million dollar budget, 10,000 volunteers – between 90 and 100 million dollars of total support.
        5. Best Practices for on-line delivery of courses at PSU – Forensic
          1. Engel – Digital Learning Academic Council – Are we doing effective peer evaluations of online faculty? Ann Taylor and the Dutton Institute has done a lot of work on this topic already. When Engel asked Bowen how to proceed, he suggested that she contact the Senate Chair for a possible forensic to discuss good practices for peer evaluations of online faculty. It was then brought to this committee. It’s about online learning – not just World Campus. Engage the senators about what are best practices for faculty. Start with some of the leaders of these groups who are doing it already and give a short one-page description that will start the conversation. The committee agreed that this is a good idea. The forensic might happen in March or April.
      5. New Business
        1. Calvin invited the committee to have its meeting in his area. Seymour will work with his administrative assistant to set the schedule and location. Maybe have the next meeting in 331 Ag Admin.

      The meeting was adjourned at 9:56 AM.

      Beth King

      back to top


      September 6, 2016

      Members Present:

      Beth Seymour, Beth King, Terry Harrison, Alex Hristov, John Potochny, Cristina Truica, Jennifer Krempa (for Craig Weidemann), Richard Brown

      Members Absent:

      Dennis Calvin, Lisa Mangel, Theodore Alter, Anne Douds, Jill Eckert, Brad Garrett, Rama Radhakrishna

      Guests: No guests were present.

      CALL TO ORDER: Chair Seymour called the meeting to order at 8:30 AM.

      APPROVAL OF MINUTES

      April 19, 2016 minutes approved without changes.

      ANNOUNCEMENTS:  None

      OLD BUSINESS:    None

       NEW BUSINESS

      • Beth Seymour discussed the Senate plenary agenda
      • Cristina Truica said it sounds like the HR80 decision has been made
      1. Review committee membership, board effects usage
      2. Review priority items
      1. Create new members document – Informational
        1. Harrison asked about student senator
        2. Harrison submitted edits – that edited document was circulated
        3. Seymour proposed changing “distance” to “online”
        4. Seymour – we need to make it clear that this is the Committee on Outreach and we should start with that
        5. Brown asked who the audience is
        6. Seymour said we want to keep it wide-reaching
        7. We decided that we will edit the documents online and circulate via email
        8. It was decided not to make any reports mandated
        9. One policy that might be worth visiting – AD 55 – discusses the role of distance education World Campus
      2. Science U presentation – Informational
        1. Krempa – Science U – comes out of the College of Science
        2. The group agreed to support this
      3. Avenues of on-line course delivery at PSU – Informational
        1. World Campus is the easiest place to get information
        2. Subcommittee – Beth Seymour (chair), Alex Hristov, Robert Brown,Terry Harrison
        3. Harrison gave a history of his experience with this
      4. World Campus and Commonwealth Campuses – Advisory and Consultative
        1. Harrison asked about whether or not World Campus differentiates a class as being offered at a commonwealth campus
        2. Krempa – gave some background and information about future thinking
        3. Harrison said that World Campus has a very visible presence at University Park, not sure if World Campus has made an effort to seek people, classes, programs, etc. from commonwealth campuses
        4. Harrison – we should be sure to get the person who takes over for Craig to give us his/her vision asap
        5. Seymour – let’s start by getting information from World Campus, don’t necessarily need to form a committee for that yet
      5. PSU summer programs focused on underrepresented students grades 9-12 – Advisory and Consultative
        1. Seymour – we’ll work with the committee on Educational Equity and Campus Environment (Rob Loeb)
      6. Cooperative Extension report – Informational
        1. Seymour will ask them to get something to us by January, will discuss with Dennis Calvin
      7. Best Practices for on-line delivery of courses at PSU – Forensic
        1. Renata will want feedback from the senate
      8. Form committees
      9. The meeting was adjourned at 9:39 AM.back to top