Meeting Agendas

Undergraduate Education


December 5, 2017 Agenda

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of the October 17 minutes
  3. Report from Officers and Chairs
  4. Old Business
    1. Update on committee work with ARSSA and SL
    2. Discuss Petition Report
    3. Align Gen Ed requirements with major requirements to time students enter University – ARSSA asks us to weigh in on discussion
    4. Discuss Senate Policy 34-20, Registration
    5. Update Vision subcommittee – Keith
    6. Exceptions to degree requirements, 82-60 – Yvonne and David
  5. New Business
    1. Michele Rice (new member) – Prior Learning Assessment discussion
  6. Adjourn

back to top


October 17, 2017 Agenda

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of the September 12 minutes
  3. Report from Officers and Chairs
  4. Old Business
    1. Update on joint work with ARSSA.
    2. 42-27 Class Attendance Policy – changes addressing students in active duty military status
    3. Discuss Senate Policy 34-20, Registration Archive
    4. form committees to work on UE purview with respect to education
  5. New Business
    1. Discuss Petition Report
    2. Review existing policies
    3. Exceptions to degree requirements, 82-60
  6. Adjourn

back to top


September 12, 2017 Agenda

    1. Call to order
    2. Approval of the April 25 minutes
    3. Old Business – none
    4. New Business
      1. Review committee membership, board effects usage
      2. Review priority items
        1. ACUE recommendation to consider the alignment of general education and major requirements with the year the student enters the University. 
        2. Jointly with the Senate Committee on Committees and Rules, consider amending the Bylaws to clarify the jurisdiction of the Senate with respect to education.
        3. Jointly with the ARSSA committee, consider drafting legislation revising Senate Policy 34-20, Registration Archive.
        4. Consider an advisory/consultative report that permits faculty above the rank of assistant professor or assistant professor of teaching to opt out of SRTE evaluations in every class, in every semester.
        5. Consider an advisory/consultative report recommending the invalidation of SRTE reports with a low response rate.
        6. Jointly with Student Life, draft an informational report on best practices for aiding students who have three or more midterm exams in a single day.
        7. Look at Grade submission deadline, particularly in reference to Academic Standing and Pre-requisite checking, 47-20 Basis for Grades, G-1 Grade Reporting. Jointly work with ARSSA
        8. Review policies and procedures related to Academic Standing, 54-10 Good Standing.
        9. New items
      3. Form committees
    5. Adjourn

back to top


April 25, 2017 Agenda

      • Minutes of the March 21st Meeting
      • General Education Assessment and Evaluation Plan – Barbara Masi and Maggie Slattery
      • 42-27 Class Attendance Policy – Renee Thronton-Roop & Karen Pollack
      • Joint Special Committee for the Well-Being and Safety of First-Year Students
        Rationale:
        When we visited your committees on March 21st we had a draft report that we shared. We revised that report based on the feedback that we received; primarily we tried to make sure that each of the recommendations could stand on their own for a vote. When we submitted the revised report to the Senate Office, it was recommended that we split the report into two separate reports: one that is legislative dealing with curricular pathways and the other that is advisory/consultative dealing with co-curricular pathways. Thus, we have ended up with two related but separate reports that I have attached to be shared with your committees. These reports have been placed on the agenda for the April 25th Faculty Senate meeting. We hope we have your committee members’ support in passing the recommendations.

back to top


March 14, 2017 Agenda

        1. Standing Joint Committee on General Education Assessment:  Barbara Masi
        2. Updates on Attendance Policy 42-27:  Renee Thornton-Roop, Office of Veteran Affairs
        3. Special Committee on Engaged Scholarship: Ann Clement and Martha Aynardi
        4. Special Committee on Well-being and Safety for First-Year Students: Patricia Koch & Yvonne Gaudelius
        5. Discussion of changes in Minor Policy:  From Curricular Affairs
          Grade Distribution Report

back to top


January 24, 2017 Agenda

          1. Call to order
          2. Approval of the minutes of December 2016 Meeting
          3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
          4. Class attendance policy – 42-27
            1. Military short-term policy recommendations (may be a separate policy)
              Guest: Renee Thornton-Roop, Penn State Associate Director of Veteran Affairs
            2. Intercollegiate Athletics Committee may have suggestions for update
          5. Reconsideration of 43-00 Syllabus Policy
          6. Grade Distribution Sub-committee update (Yvonne Gaudulius) (A7 from priority form)
          7. Senate Policy 47-70 – Student Progress and Reporting (B2 from priority form)
            1. David Smith and others with draft of policy update
          8. Advising policy changes – Policy 32-10 (B1 from priority form)
            1. Discuss UAC membership updates and draft policy update to 32-10
          9. Develop e-bulletin portal/syllabi (A5 from priority form)
          10. New Business
          11. Adjournment
            Next meeting on March 14, 2017

back to top

 


December 6, 2016 Agenda

          1. Call to order
          2. Approval of the minutes of October 2016 Meeting
          3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
          4. Petitions report (further comments and approval)
          5. Syllabus policy (43-00) regarding learning objectives and goals (further comments and approval)
          6. Senate Policy 47-70 – Student Progress and Reporting (B2 from priority form)
          7. Advising policy changes – David Smith (32-00) (B1 from priority form)
          8. Review syllabi requirement regarding assessment of learning goals and objectives (A4 from priority form)
          9. Develop e-bulletin portal/syllabi (A5 from priority form)
          10. Grade Inflation Sub-committee update (Kathy Bieschke and David Smith) (A7 from priority form)
          11. New Business
            1. Proposed Military Short-Term Absence Policy (42-27)
          12. Adjournment

Next meeting on January 24, 2017
back to top


October 18, 2016 Agenda

          1. Call to Order
          2. Approval of the September 2016 meeting minutesUE Sept. 6 minutes.docx – Page 3
          3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
          4. Grade Inflation Sub-committee charged (Yvonne Gaudelius – Chair)
          5. Petitions report – review and approval15-16_petition_report.docx – Page 6
          6. Review New Members document (A1 from priority form)Senate_UE_NewMembers_2016_ yg edited version.docx – Page  12
            Senate_UE_NewMembers_2016_ yg.docx – Page 17
          7. Review learning goals and objectives statement to syllabus (A3 from priority form)draft Revision_to_Policy_43-00_Syllabus-objectives.docx – Page  22
          8. Syllabus statement regarding assessing goals and objectives (A4 from priority form)
          9. New Business
            1. Senate Policy 47-70?47-70 link47-70 Background.docx – Page 23Starfish Information
          10. Senate Policies 48-40 and 48-50 potential changes (ARSSA)48-40 link48-50 linkARSSA_4840_4850_draft1.docx – Page 29
          • Adjournment (Next meeting on December 6, 2016)

back to top


September 6, 2016 Agenda

                  1. Call to order
                  2. Approval of the minutes of April 2016 MeetingUE_Minutes_19April2016
                  3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
                  4. Review UE priority formUndergraduate Education Priority Form
                  5. Volunteers for Curricular Affairs Subcommittees and University Faculty AdvisingVolunteers Needed!
                    1. General Education:
                    2. Retention and Transfer:
                    3. US and IL: Samia Suliman
                    4. Writing: Joyce Furtaro
                    5. UAC (2 members needed): Mary Beth Williams and ???
                    6. Meetings: 23 Sept; 28 Oct; 2 Dec; 27 Jan; 3 March; 21 April. They are held from 3 to 4:30 in Borland.
                  6. Syllabus statement regarding mental health (review policy 43-00) and previous year’s statement (A2 from priority form)
                    Policy 43-00 Link
                    Revision_to_Policy_43-00_Syllabus-Final_revised19April2016.docx – Page 6
                  7. Presentation from Office of Planning and Assessment (Barbara Masi– 20 minutes with Q&A)
                  8. Syllabus statement regarding learning goals and objectives (A3 from priority form)
                  9. Syllabus statement regarding assessing goals and objectives (A4 from priority form)
                  10. Discuss New Members document (A1 from priority form)
                  11. Discuss Annual Grade Report (A7 from priority form
                  12. David Smith Senate Presentation today (A6 from priority form)
                  13. New Business
                  14. Adjournment

back to top


April 19, 2016 Agenda

1. Call to order
2. Approval of the minutes of March 2016 Meeting
3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
4. Do certain courses need specific grades to move to a next course in the sequence? In other words, could it be possible to make a prerequisite for a course be a “C or better” in another course? Worry that students are able to take a subsequent course after only getting a D may not be adequately prepared. May not be a concern in all cases, but it would be nice to have it be an option for departments to have. A question for the LionPATH folks?

Bill Lasher’s Report:
I checked with Maggie Slattery, curricular affairs chair about requiring prerequisites with a grade of C or higher, and she said it is possible but it typically only works when all the students taking the course are taking it for a major and the prerequisite course requires a C or better for graduation in the major. She gave one example of CH E 320 which requires a C in CH E 220, and I’ve listed the course description below. You can require a C in the prerequisite for a course like this because it’s only taken by students in the major.

It would not be possible to require a C in MATH 140 as a prerequisite for MATH 141 because some programs may require both courses but do not require a C in MATH 140 for graduation, so a C prerequisite requirement would be adding an additional requirement to the program.

At this point I don’t see the need for the committee to do anything unless other people feel we should continue the discussion.

CH E 320 Phase and Chemical Equilibria (3) Pure component phase properties, solution properties, equilibria among phases, equilibrium stage separations, chemical reaction equilibria.
Effective: Fall 2013
Prerequisite: CH E 210 with minimum grade of “C”CH E 220 with minimum grade of “C”

5. Syllabus statement regarding mental health? (see draft on ANGEL)
6. Thoughts for next year?
7. New Business
8. Adjournment

Next meeting in the Fall 2016

back to top


March 15, 2016 Agenda

          1. Call to order
          2. Approval of the minutes of January 2016 Meeting
          3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
          4. Policy 59-10 (Minors) – Discussion and possible approval
            1. ARSSA suggested requiring 9 credits to be earned at PSU – 6 were proposed. Six came from a relative proportion required of majors.
          5. Starfish Informational Report – Discussion and approval
          6. Policy 43-00 (Syllabi access) – Discussion and possible approval
          7. Policy 47-20 (Grades) – Discussion and possible approval
          8. Overlapping majors (review data on ANGEL)
            1. Discuss: Is there a problem and if so, is policy necessary?
          9. Mental Health Discussion
            1. What are the available health facilities that can accommodate the need for mental health care for Penn State students? Determine the number of students that can receive care at these facilities. In consultation with the Office of Student Affairs and Counseling and Physiological Services, determine whether or not the administration has a plan to reduce wait times for students to be seen by a mental health professional. Additionally, determine the availability of a plan, which addresses unmet need for mental health care for students. Prepare an Informational Report, which addresses these topics;
            2. Determine the impact of mental health issues on students’ time to degree, access to financial aid, and continuity of registration;
            3. What changes, if any, will be required for mental health care coverage/care for students in the future under the Affordable Care Act? If changes are expected, does the University have a plan to meet these requirements and the cost of providing any increases in services?
          10. New Business
            1. Charge Grade Distribution Subcommittee (Yvonne Gaudelius, Bill Lasher, David Smith, others) to conduct analysis of grade distribution data
          11. Adjournment

Next meeting 8:30-10:30AM April 19th, 110C Chandlee Lab

back to top


January 26, 2016 Agenda

            1. Call to order
            2. Approval of the minutes of December 2015 Meeting
            3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
            4. Discussion of 59-00 (Minors and Certificates) – 30 minutes (Jackie Edmondson and Judy Ozment from SCCA will be available for questions and answers)
              1. Minors – Continued discussion
              2. Certificates – Continued discussion and report approval (if possible)
            5. Discussion and Approval of the Grade Distribution Report (posted on ANGEL) – 10 minutes
            6. Presentation by John Moore (General Education Implementation) – 20 minutes
            7. Presentation by Anna Butler/Annie Taylor (Academic Petition Review Process) – 20 minutes (10 minute presentation and 10 minute discussion)
            8. Overlapping majors (review data) – 15 minutes
            9. New Business
              1. Student initiated discussions (20 minutes – may not cover all items below)
                1. Syllabi access (digital access after first day made mandatory?)
                2. SRTE access for students
                3. Adviser feedback from students
                4. Grades (students would like to know current grade at late drop period)
              2. Starfish Information Report (10 minutes led by David Smith)
              1. Adjournment

Next meeting 8:30-10:30AM March 15th, 110C Chandlee Lab

back to top


December 8, 2015 Agenda

            1. Call to order
            2. Approval of the minutes of October 2015 Meeting
            3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
            4. Discussion of 59-00 (Minors and Certificates) – 20 minutes
              1. Minors – Discussion of specific topics (provided by Curricular Affairs) with future report
              2. Certificates – Discussion (provided by Curricular Affairs) and report approval (if possible)
            5. Discussion of 05-81 (World Language) – 15 minutes
              1. Led by Yvonne Gaudulius
            6. Presentation by John Moore (General Education Implementation) – 10 minutes
            7. Presentation by Jackie Edmondson (General Education Assessment) – 30 minutes (10 minute presentation and 20 minute discussion)
            8. Presentation by Anna Butler/Annie Taylor (Academic Petition Review Process) – 20 minutes (10 minute presentation and 10 minute discussion)
            9. Overlapping majors (review data) – 15 minutes
            10. New Business
              1. Student initiated discussions (20 minutes – may not cover all items below)
                1. Syllabi access (digital access after first day made mandatory?)
                2. SRTE access for students
                3. Adviser feedback from students
                4. Grades (students would like to know current grade at late drop period)
            1. Adjournment

Next meeting 8:30-10:30 AM January 26th, 110C Chandlee Lab

back to top


October 27, 2015 Agenda

                  1. Call to order
                  2. Approval of the minutes of September 2015 Meeting
                  3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
                  4. Report from the LionPATH Implementation Committee
                  5. Discussion and Approval of Policy 54-90 (see Angel for draft)
                  6. Discussion and Approval of Policy 42-23 (see Angel for draft)
                    1. Jointly with the Committee on Curricular Affairs and in consultation with the Special Senate Committee on Implementation of LionPATH, prepare a revision to the Senate Policy 42-23 to address the  definition of credits in compliance with the Federal Regulations.

Reference: The Federal Credit Hour definition is as follows: “A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than—(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one  semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic

7. Discuss Recommendation 2 (from the April 28, 2015 Legislative Report brought forward by the General Education Planning and Oversight Task Force): A regular and ongoing assessment plan for General Education should be developed by the Faculty Senate and University bodies assigned to program assessment, following the principles described in this report. The plan should be approved by Faculty Senate, and findings should be used by the appropriate Senate committees to address areas for refinement and improvement.

a. Nina Safron will assist with discussion on this topic as related to the General Education Assessment Committee
b. Consider the following questions (review posted information in ANGEL on Gen Ed report and Ad hoc committee before meeting)

1. Are these the recommendations we want to move forward with?
2. Are there other recommendations we want to consider?
3. What, if any, questions about the recommendations do we want full Senate input on?

8. New Business
9. Adjournment

Next meeting 8:30-10:30AM December 8th, 110C Chandlee Lab

back to top


September 15, 2015 Agenda

Agenda

                  1. Call to order
                  2. Approval of the minutes of April 2015 Meeting
                  3. Report from the Officers and Chairs Meeting
                  4. Report from the LionPATH Implementation Committee
                  5. Need volunteers for the following subcommittees on Curricular Affairs (1 member to serve on the General Education subcommittee; 1 member to serve on Retention and Transfer; 2 members to serve on US/IL, and 1 member to serve on Writing) and Undergraduate Advisory Council
                    1. Thank the Academic Standards Subcommittee members (Annie Taylor)
                  6. Review the Committee Priority List (posted on ANGEL)
                  7. Approval of Petition Report – vote for approval
                  8. Approval of Policy 37-30 (see ANGEL for new draft) – vote for approval
                  9. Discuss Policy 34-89 Drop Policy changes (see ANGEL for report)
                  10. Discuss Recommendation 2 (from the April 28, 2015 Legislative Report brought forward by the General Education Planning and Oversight Task Force): A regular and ongoing assessment plan for General Education should be developed by the Faculty Senate and University bodies assigned to program assessment, following the principles described in this report. The plan should be approved by Faculty Senate, and findings should be used by the appropriate Senate committees to address areas for refinement and improvement.
                    1. Asked to prepare forensic report for December
                    2. Annie Taylor and Nina Safron will lead discussion on this topic as related to the General Education Assessment Committee
                  11. Jointly with the Committee on Curricular Affairs and in consultation with the Special Senate Committee on Implementation of LionPATH, prepare a revision to the Senate Policy 42-23 to address the definition of credits in compliance with the Federal Regulations.

Reference: The Federal Credit Hour definition is as follows: “A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than—(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic

                  1. New Business
                  2. Adjournment

Next meeting 8:30-10:30AM October 27th, 110C Chandlee Lab

back to top