Meeting Minutes

University Planning


October 17, 2017

Members Present:  Kevin Cockroft, Anne Douds (phone), Betty Harper (OPA), David Lieb , Frantisek Marko, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Steinn Sigurdsson, Charles Specht, William Sitzabee, Mary Vollero, Robert Zambanini.

Members Absent: Richard Bundy, David Gray, Lisa Grigley, Nicholas Jones, Hector Lopez, Margaret Michels, Padma Patil, Mary Lou Ortiz, Mark Sideck, Ming Wang.

Guests: Greg Kufner (University Architect), Keith Nelson (Liberal Arts)

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM.  The minutes from September 12, 2017 were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Report on Officers and Chairs meeting (Laura Pauley)
  • Unofficial report: Prof. Pauley has been student nominated to be part of the Homecoming Court. The committee congratulated Prof. Pauley on this honour.
  • The University Planning Committee Priority Report (included in Agenda materials). Committee has two items of old business, 5 “A” priority items, one “B” priority item and 4 scheduled Mandated Reports.

OLD BUSINESS

  • B1. Facilities Planning Advisory Board The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Arts and Architecture expressed concern about the abolishing of the FPAB. Prof. Keith Nelson came to present a case for continued  working of the Facilities Planning Advisory Board.  A discussion of the history of the FPAB and its function was presented. An argument was made that rather than abolish the FPAB it ought to meet more frequently and more pro-actively provide feedback to the University and check that new construction complies with the University Master Plan.  Discussion of a sample case of the development of the Forum/Music area and Water Tower replacement, which did not follow the long term Master Plan, and changed the nature of the open space in that area.  Discussion of how the FPAB came to be and that it is a University board, not a Senate committee.  Greg Kufner (University Architect) discussed current process for faculty involvement for building construction and refurbishing on the College level. Keith Nelson discussed the need for considering the big picture of how new facilities fit in with the long term master plan and how projects fit with surrounding current and future facilities.  William Sitzabee notes the presence University Trustees in the planning, whose role is to ensure projects are consistent with the University Master Plan. Discussion of how the FPAB process failed, and whether it is better to try to reform it or abolish the current structure and consider a new process. Can the process provide more timely and effective feedback, and harness the expertise of the University faculty and staff.
    • A motion was made to withdraw the proposed recommendation to the Senate due to the need to further consult interested parties and consider how the process might be amended. Motion was passed without objection.
  • A6: Facilities and Administration Rates DistributionThere were no further comments on the  report and it will be presented at the October 17th meeting of the Senate.

ADMINISTRATIVE LIASION

  • Item A4. University Strategic Planning Report (Betty Harper). Review of informational report to the Senate to be presented at a future Senate meeting. See Agenda Materials.
    • Discussion of the content, including what to eliminate and what to emphasize.
  • Development and Alumni Relations (David Lieb).  Review of informational report to the Senate to be presented at the December Senate meeting.
  • UPC Representative on the University Energy Conservation Policy Committee, Nick Pearson. Committee has not met yet.
  • UPC Representative on the Parking Appeals Committee, Mary Vollero. No report.
  • Physical Plant and Resources, William Sitzabee. No report.
  • Office of Planning & Institutional Assessment, Padma Patil. No report.

NEW BUSINESS

  • Item A3.  OPP Renovation Costs, Laura Pauley. Discussion on how to proceed.  William Sitzabee to report on the general process of how OPP plans renovations and options for call for bids. Charles Specht is going to look into whether there are specific issues at Hershey.
  • Item A2.  Facilities Implications of High Enrollments at University Park, Laura Pauley. Explore effectiveness  to date of efforts to ameliorate the issue, and what has changed in terms of construction and renovation.  Mary Beth Williams expressed interest in being involved in this process, we will invite her to participate.   Look into class room utilization and dorm occupancy rates.  Utilization report due this year.

The meeting was adjourned at  10:20 AM

Prepared by Steinn Sigurðsson

back to top


September 12, 2017

Members Present: Anne Douds, David Lieb , Frantisek Marko, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Mark Sideck, Steinn Sigurdsson, Charles Specht, Mary Vollero, Robert Zambanini

Members Absent: Richard Bundy,  Kevin Cockroft, David Gray, Lisa Grigley, Nicholas Jones, Hector Lopez, Margaret Michels, Padma Patil, Mary Lou Ortiz (not started yet), William Sitzabee, Ming Wang.

Guests: None

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM.  The minutes from April 25, 2017 were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

        • Report on Officers and Chairs meeting (Steinn Sigurdsson)
        • The University Planning Committee Priority Report (included in Agenda materials). Committee has two items of old business, 5 “A” priority items, one “B” priority item and 4 scheduled Mandated Reports.
        • The University Planning Committee Priority Items for this Year:
          • Discussion on how to proceed on CollegeNET and Optimizer report.
          • Different issues for UP vs the Commonwealth Campuses as enrollments change. Problems with assignments for classes requiring moderate facilities (eg Art).
          • Revisit OPP and renovation issue. Pushed Officers and Committee meeting to ensure units are responsive to enquiries on this.
          • Prof. Pauley is on University Strategic Plan Oversight Implementation Committee and will report to UPC and forward concerns and queries. We will sponsor an information report to the Senate on how the process is going.
          • Tuition billing has issues and we will review the student and parents experience. Compare to peer institutions.
          • Annual Construction Report.
          • Biennial Space Allocation and Utilization Report.
          • Annual University Budget and Planning
          • Biennial Development and Alumni Relations Report

OLD BUSINESS

        • Facilities Planning Advisory Board Draft Report prepared (see Agenda Items).  Recommended that we add discussion of how the FPAB schedule made it difficult to provide timely feedback. The report was approved and will be forwarded to the Senate Council for presentation at the October meeting of the Senate.
        • A6: Facilities and Administration Rates Distribution   The report was approved with minor changes (expanding some acronyms) and will be forwarded to the Senate Council for presentation at the October meeting of the Senate.

NEW BUSINESS

ADMINISTRATIVE LIAISON REPORTS

        • Development & Alumni Relations, Dave Lieb. A campaign update was presented on the progress on the “A Greater Penn State” development campaign.  (See Agenda Items)
        • Physical Plant and Resources, Bill Sitzabee. No report.
        • Office of Planning & Institutional Assessment Padma Patil. No report.
        • University Budget Office, Andy Reisinger. No report.  Mary Lou Ortiz will begin as University Budget Officer on October 1.
        • UPC Representative on the University Energy Conservation Policy Committee, Nick Pearson. The committee has not met yet for this year.
        • UPC Representative on the Parking Appeals Committee. Mary Vollero agreed to serve on this committee.
        • UPC Representative on the Strategic Plan Implementation Oversight Committee, Laura Pauley. The committee meets approximately once a month.  During spring semester, the committee discussed and developed the process for implementation of the Strategic Plan.  During the summer, the unit progress reports were reviewed and input given to the units.  The first deadline for University Strategic Initiative Seed Grants was September 18.  These proposals will first be reviewed by the Executive Committees.  The Oversight Committee will review the forwarded select proposals in November.

Proposed new business for this academic year:

        • CollegeNet and Optimizer. The Committee received a response from President Barron (see Agenda Items).

The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 AM .

Prepared by Steinn Sigurðsson

back to top


April 25, 2017

Members Present: James Adair, Peter Eberle, Binh Le, David Lieb (by phone), Frantisek Marko, John Messner, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Steinn Sigurdsson, Ford Stryker, Ming Wang (by phone),

Members Absent: Kevin Cockroft, David Gray, Hengameh Hosseini, Nicholas Jones, Rodney Kirsch, Padma Patil,  Vansh Prabhu, Andy Reisinger, Gavin Robertson, Jeff Robzen, Ira Saltz, Shuang Shen, Jong Yun

Guests: None

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM.  The minutes from March 21, 2017 were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

        • The University Planning Committee Priority Report has been updated showing progress to-date on the items to be acted on (included in Agenda materials).
        • The University Planning Committee is presenting the advisory/consultative report on Course and Classroom Scheduling Recommendations. There was a discussion of the report.

OLD BUSINESS

        • Facilities Planning Advisory Board John Messner.  Some Facilities and Planning Advisory Board historical documents were obtained through the Senate Office, and discussed to consider the purpose and function of the FPAB (see agenda materials). With changes in the structure of University planning, and the improved communication to the University community, there is a question whether there is still a purpose for the FPAB.  Hence, the question has been posed whether the FPAB still serves a purpose. It has only met once this academic year, to discuss its continued existence. Motion to approve the recommendation to dissolve the Facilities Planning Advisory Board.  Approved Unanimously.  Laura Pauley to contact Senate Office to discuss the procedure for proceeding with the dissolution of the FPAB.
        • Item A6: Facilities and Administration Rates Distribution    More academic units have responded to the request for updated information.  Some units have still not responded. Proposal to submit the current information, flagging those units which have not updated the information. The amended report will be submitted as an informational report. Motion to require the report be updated every two years. Motion seconded. Approved.

ADMINISTRATIVE LIASION

        • Development & Alumni Relations. David Lieb.

Penn State received a $30 million gift to the College of Communications. Part of the gift is for facilities, the rest is for endowment of support for the College. Agenda report (see attached) on the progress towards the development goals.

        • Physical Plant and Resources. Ford Stryker.

The Board of Trustees meeting is soon.  New projects are being considered, including an extension to the Childrens’  Hospital in Hershey. ARL is requesting an addition to one of their buildings. There is a proposal to build a Recital Hall for music recitals to replace the existing facility. It will be an extension to the current facility which will be converted to rehearsal space.

Estimated near term facilities outlay are at about $4.7 billion over 5 years, with about 3/4 going to renovation and upgrades. Some program committees for planned facilities have been set up with faculty representation. Most projects are pending information on the budget available. Campuses have been consulted about their needs for near term and long term facilities.

Question on the status of the Academic Building at Abington.  Answer: as a state funded building the State has input in the process and it is moving along pending action from the State.  The committee noted that renovation of classrooms in buildings tends to lead to reduced classroom capacity as layout is changed to accommodate demand for more flexible instructional space and classroom space is converted to other (student oriented) uses.

        • Office of Planning & Institutional Assessment. N/A
        • University Budget Office. Andy Reisinger. N/A
        • UPC Representative on the Parking Appeals Committee. Nick Pearson. No report.
        • UPC Representative on the Strategic Plan Implementation Oversight Committee. Laura Pauley. The committee has met three times to date. The committee is reviewing plans submitted by the Executive Committees.  The committee checks that input to the other strategic plan committees is being taken into consideration and that the committee reports are uniform and consistent.

NEW BUSINESS

        • Proposed new business for next academic year:
          • Follow up on the implementation of class room optimizer and scheduler and monitor progress on optimization and utilization.
          • Possibility of Faculty representation on the Facilities and Resources Committee and other University Planning Committees.
          • Facilities implications (Instructional Space and Dorm Space) for record Freshman Class at UP. Followup on class size, current admissions and implications for space requirements.
          • Make the F&A report a traditional report.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM

Prepared by Steinn Sigurðsson

back to top


March 14, 2017 (Rescheduled for March 21, 2017)

Members Present: James Adair, Binh Le, David Lieb, Frantisek Marko, John Messner, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Vansh Prabhu, Steinn Sigurdsson, Ming Wang (by phone), Jong Yun

Members Absent:  James Adair, Kevin Cockroft, David Gray, Hengameh Hosseini, Nicholas Jones, Rodney Kirsch, Padma Patil, Gavin Robertson, Jeff Robzen, Ira Saltz, Shuang Shen, Rachel Smith, Ford Stryker

Guests: Todd Clouser, Andy Reisinger

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM. The minutes from January 24, 2017 were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

        • The University Planning Committee Priority Report has been updated showing progress to date on the items to be acted on (included in Agenda materials).
        • Report on F&A (A6): The report on F&A has been updated (see agenda materials). The information about the F&A practices at the Commonwealth Campuses has not been updated, the subcommittee will contact the Associate Dean for Research, University College to get the updated information. There was a discussion of the implications of the current F&A rate, and about the pressure on general funds to offset restrictions on grant spending. Question about how RIF distribution is in other peer institutions. Should a Senate committee investigate and compare RIF practices at peerinstitutions? Question was posed whether the committee should present an informational or investigative report.
        • Gender Neutral Bathrooms (A3) No report.
        • Review and Evaluate Optimizer (A8) Todd Clouser presented a report on CollegeNET (presentation included in Agenda materials). The presentation was followed by an extensive committee questioning and discussion.
        • KEY POINT SUMMARY
          • Roll over of course information between semesters.
          • Roll over of classrooms (per AD82).
          • Scheduling successive sessions for classes taught back-to-back by the same instructor to enable instructors to use the same classroom for consecutive periods.
          • Accommodating non-regular classes (eg. 4 credit classes) – need a review of schedule time constraints, and “prime time” constraints. Non-regular classes currently scheduled after all regular classes which eliminates most prime time options.
          • Discussion of an option for holding back RGC to a “third partition”, creating more priority partitions for available classroom space to keep RGC space from being overused.
          • Re-evaluate partitioning based on user feedback.
          • It is important to factor in the impact on student experience and pedagogy, not just effective use of space.
        • Write up an advisory/consultative report
          • Discussion summary: Messner noted that current scheduling policy is in violation of AD-82, specifically the policy on Roll Over of classroom schedules.
          • Recommend implementation of a three partition system for RGC.
          • Implement finer building/area partitions, with more zones for preferential scheduling.
          • Resolve the issue of 4 credit class scheduling being a lower priority.
          • There is a concern that academic units do gaming of classroom scheduling – this is a systemic response to the tight scheduling to generate the scheduling slack needed for the system to function.
          • There needs to be a consideration of the impact of scheduling issues on student experience, and the pedagogical issue of staggered scheduling and long days (early/late classes especially for non-standard classes e.g. 4 credit classes)
          • There needs to be consideration of the impact of scheduling issues on instructors and departments – the need to adapt to new classrooms each time a class is retaught in a different space puts a workload on instructors that ought to be a factor in any optimization scheme.
          • The committee need to check and incorporate the comments received from academic units on the issue of classroom allocations, e.g. the impact on shared spaces.
          • We need to consider whether classroom scheduling is an issue with student parents and prospective students and their parents perception – possible sources of information through Facebook groups, college confidential website etc.
          • An underlying issue that keeps coming back is the implementation of Lionpath and its interface to collegeNet, rather than the collegeNet functionality per se.

ADMINISTRATIVE LIASION

        • Report on Capital Campaign   N/A due to time.

OLD BUSINESS

        • Facilities Planning Advisory Board John Messner. N/A due to time.

NEW BUSINESS

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 AM

Prepared by Steinn Sigurðsson

back to top


January 24, 2017

Members Present:Peter Eberle, Binh Le, David Lieb, Frantisek Marko, John Messner (by phone), Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Vansh Prabhu, Andy Reisinger, Steinn Sigurdsson, Ford Stryker

Members Absent:  James Adair, Kevin Cockroft, David Gray, Hengameh Hosseini, Nicholas Jones, Rodney Kirsch, Padma Patil, Gavin Robertson, Jeff Robzen, Ira Saltz, Shuang Shen, Ming Wang, Jong Yun

Guests: Todd Clouser, Pam Garbini, Deborah Howard, Steven Maruszewski

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM. The minutes from December 16, 2016 were approved.

Green and New Construction (A5). Steven Maruszewski presented a draft of the presentation to the Senate. The committee approved the draft as presented.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

        • Report on F&A (A6) The memo requesting input for the F&A report has been sent out. The deadline for responses is February 28th. The Senate Committee on Research is working on complementary aspects of the issue. The ad hoc subcommittee on the F&A report of the University Planning Committee is coordinating with the Senate Committee on Research on the issue.
        • The University Planning Committee Priority Report has been updated showing progress to date on the items to be acted on (included in Agenda materials).
        • Gender Neutral Bathrooms (A3) Pam Garbini and Deborah Howard present a status report on the bathroom and facilities upgrade (presentation included in Agenda materials). There were questions from the University Planning Committee members on when the first round of designations and upgrades will be completed. There was a discussion of adding non-American Disability Act compliant unisex restrooms, in addition to the American Disability Act compliant restrooms being designated unisex. There was a discussion of occupancy issues, and whether the number of facilities will match demand, especially in older buildings. There was discussion of usage of available space in new construction. A suggestion was made that the University develop an App, for mobile devices, to help identify and locate sundry restroom facilities at Penn State locations.
        • Review and Evaluate Optimizer (A8) Todd Clouser presented a report on CollegeNET (presentation included in Agenda materials). There are issues with departments gaming the allocation of large General Purpose Classrooms. Utilization of classroom space gives priority rank if all else is equal in allocation requests, departments are inflating expected enrollments to get classrooms.   There is concern that 4 credit classes are given non-standard scheduling and have lower priority for classroom space. This may be due to class hours being non-standard on some days, specifically as an issue for 4 credit classes. There is no provision in CollegeNET for retention of classrooms for the same courses in successive semesters or years. There is a demand to accommodate back-to-back classes in the same location. The point was raised that scattering classes too widely reduces student sense of community, there is utility in having major have classes within departmental space rather than bigger partition areas. LionPATH doesn’t check classroom conflicts, CollegeNET does not check department assigned class rooms. It is necessary to check if the CollegeNET optimizer is actually increasing utilization of General Purpose Classrooms. Todd was asked to prepare data on the classroom scheduling and present this information at the March UPC meeting.

ADMINISTRATIVE LIASION 

        • Report on Capital Campaign David Lieb presented a report on the status of the University Capital Campaign (presentation included in Agenda materials).

OLD BUSINESS

        • Facilities Planning Advisory Board
            John Messner to present – the information is in the Agenda materials on the history of the Facilities Planning Advisory Board (see previous minutes), discussion deferred until next meeting of the University Planning Committee

NEW BUSINESS

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 AM

Prepared by Steinn Sigurðsson

back to top


December 6, 2016

        1. Call to order – The Committee was called to order by Chair Laura Pauley at 8:30 a.m.
        2. Approval of the minutes of October 18, 2016 Senate Committee on University Planning meeting The minutes were unanimously approved.
        3. Remarks from the Chair
          Update on University Strategic Implementation Steering Committee: 5 faculty Senators are members on the Steering Committees, 4 of which are committee chairs. No UPC member is on the Steering Committees. Prof. Laura Pauley invited to serve on the Executive Oversight Committee.
        4. An updated Committee Priority Form has been posted on Board Effect.
        5. Report on New Construction and Green and Recycling Efforts.
            Presented by Steve Maruszewski Asst. VP OPP. Slides included in agenda
        6. Update on complying with DoE directive on gender neutral bathroom facilities from Stryker.
          • PSU has made a public announcement on compliance.:
            http://news.psu.edu/story/436942/2016/11/10/penn-state-expanding-number-gender-neutral-restrooms-university-park
          • New signs are being put up and minor modifications being made as needed. Funding from central. Summary of current gender neutral bathroom availability by campus in agenda materials.
        7. Stryker updates on facilities:
          • summary of proposed new construction, expansion and upgrade. Slides included in agenda.
        8. Reports on Ongoing Charges:
          • Facilities Planning Advisory Board: Messner presented a report of the November meeting of the board, as the UPC representative. Discussion of what the role of the FPAB is. The master plan done at provost level with Deans and Chancellors, the FPAB is intended to oversee at the project level. More information is needed on the Board composition, history and role to determine its current effectiveness and utility. CPD7 discusses the FPAB role but is not the original charge document. There is a need to find the original Senate charge. Is the key charge the “historic and aesthetic significance” note? UPC agreement to send a request to the Senate office to find original context and charge documents for the FPAB.
          • Report on F&A: the subcommittee is preparing a draft letter to units.
          • Parking Appeal is operating normally.
        9. New Business
          • Hershey has an issue with interaction with new vendors and the requirement to handle risk management and confidentiality of information. Requirements are not stable. Conflicting and confusing risk management requirements.
        10. Adjournment – The Committee adjourned at 10:30 a.m.
          Respectfully submitted, Steinn Sigurdsson,  Vice Chair UPC, Prof. Astronomy & Astrophysics

back to top


October 18, 2016

Members Present:  James Adair, Kevin Cockroft, Peter Eberle, Binh Le, David Lieb (by phone), Frantisek Marko, Padma Patil, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Vansh Prabhu, Ira Saltz, Steinn Sigurdsson, Ford Stryker, Ming Wang (by phone), Jong Yun

Members Absent:  David Gray, Hengameh Hosseini, Nicholas Jones, Rodney Kirsch, John Messner, Gavin Robertson, Jeff Robzen, Shuang Shen, Rachel Smith

Guests:  None

APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM.  Minutes from September 6, 2016 were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

        • Student Life is discussing the smoking policy. The UFS is creating a task force to work with Student Life to examine this issue.
        • Faculty are reminded that two new items should be included on their syllabi.
          • A Mental Health statement indicating where students can seek help on your campus.
          • Learning Goals and Objectives should be included and align with the program or General Education learning goals and objectives.
        • The Provost’s budget report will be presented to the UFS today.

OLD BUSINESS

UPC New Members Summary (A1).  Since the UPC report did not appear in the UFS agenda there was an opportunity to suggest any further changes.  The last sentence in the first paragraph to the Suggested Changes to the Standing Rules was changed to:  “… development planning, and campus and physical planning including safety and security of persons, buildings, and facilities.”

There was lengthy discussion as to what active role the committee plays.  At present, many reports are created and presented to the UPC with no active involvement by the UPC.

Facilities and Administration Rates Distribution (A6).  Gavin Robertson and Jim Adair presented a list of additional information to be requested for updating the F & A report.  Gavin and Jim provided a summary of the request for information used in preparing the March 28, 2015 Informational Report.  Some data has been hard to obtain and it is not clear in all cases how the F & A funds are being used.  UPC discussed this item and decided that it was appropriate to request an update of information from units.  Gavin and Jim will prepare a draft memo for discussion at the December UPC meeting.  The information obtained will be prepared as an Informational Report to the Senate.  There was also discussion about how best to disseminate the report to faculty.

Facilities Implications for record Freshman Class at UP (A2).  Ford Stryker described how the large freshmen class was being accommodated in housing and classrooms.  The renovation of one dormitory was delayed and a new dormitory is being built to accommodate additional students on campus.  The impact on classroom availability and scheduling is currently in flux due to College Net and LionPath.  UPC will look at this in spring as part of item A8.

Gender-Neutral Bathrooms (A3).  Ford Stryker also discussed the university’s plans to accommodate requests for all-gender restrooms. At this time, the plan is to turn single-use bathrooms (bathrooms designed for one person at a time) into all gender bathrooms.  This will provide gender-neutral restrooms in many buildings.  The goal is to have a gender-neutral restroom in every building.  Some older buildings, however, do not have a single-user restroom and conversions are not planned.  All renovations and new construction will have a gender-neutral restroom.  The Department of Education will be extending the restroom guidelines in January 2017.  Ford Stryker will prepare a report for review by UPC.

OPP Renovation Costs (A4).  Ford Stryker reported that renovation costs vary greatly depending on the extent of renovation and the type of renovations.  It is not possible to prepare a general report.  Ford can provide details of a particular renovation if needed.  Laura will get more information from the units having this concern.

Green and New Construction (A5).  Steve Maruszewski will attend the December UPC meeting to provide details and answer questions.

Review and Evaluate the Optimizer for scheduling courses (A8).  Classroom availability and scheduling is currently in flux.  UPC will investigate this issue in spring after the system is operating at steady state.

Wastewater Treatment Implications (A9).  Ford Stryker reported that the PSU spray fields at Toftrees are not being used to capacity.  PSU currently needs 3M gallons per day and the spray fields can provide up to 4M gallons per day.  PSU does not use the College Township facilities.  UPC agreed that this is not an issue and no report will be prepared.

Development Report (David Lieb). As of September 30th receipts of donations was down 40% since the previous year.  This is mostly due to two factors:

        • At this time last year, the university was still collecting funds pledged during the capital campaign.
        • Last year, two donors gave $15 million as major gifts. It is unrealistic to expect gifts of that size every year.

Dave Lieb also reported that the university has received commitments of $64 million so far this year.  That is up 49% from last year. 

Construction Report (C1-Ford Stryker).  Projects to be present to the Board for approval include:

        • New residence hall for Erie.
        • An expansion of the parking deck at Erie.

Planning and Institutional Research (Padma Patil).  Padma presented a handout on the structure of the implementation committees being formed to monitor the progress made on the university’s strategic plan.  There is one Oversight Committee, eight Executive Committees, and eight Steering Committees being formed now.  Each Steering Committee will work on a thematic priority or supporting element.  The Executive Committees will prioritize the proposals by the Steering Committees and direct resources to those priorities.  The Oversight Committee will review each of the Executive Committees’ recommendations.  There will be public forums in the Spring where the Steering Committees will report on initiatives related to the Strategic Plan.  Each committee will have 9 – 12 members and a select few faculty will be chosen to serve on those committees.

Following Padma’s presentation on the Strategic Plan implementation process there was considerably discussion about the apparent lack of participation by UPC in the entire strategic planning and implementation process.  Padma will provide a list of committee membership and Faculty Senate participation.

NEW BUSINESS

Laura Pauley will discuss the committee’s concerns over its role with the Chair of the UFS.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:05 AM

Prepared by Ira Saltz

back to top


September 6, 2016

Members Present:  James, Adair, Peter Eberle, Binh Le, Frantisek Marko, John Messner, Laura Pauley, Nicholas Pearson, Vansh Prabhu, Gavin Robertson, Steinn Sigurdsson (by phone), Rachel Smith, Ford Stryker, Ming Wang (by phone)

Members Absent:  Kevin Cockroft, David Gray, Hengameh Hosseini, Nicholas Jones, Rodney Kirsch, David Lieb, Jeff Robzen, Ira Saltz, Shuang Shen, Jong Yun

Guests:  None

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The UPC meeting started at 8:30 AM.  Minutes from April 18, 2016 were not available for approval.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

The UPC Priority Form for this year was reviewed.  Nick Pearson agreed to represent UPC on the Parking Appeals Committee.  John Messner agreed to serve as UPC liaison on the Facilities Planning Advisory Board (FPAB).

OLD BUSINESS

UPC New Members Summary (A1).  The development of this document is committee priority A1.  It is intended to communicate the typical duties, mandated reports, and policies considered by the committee.  A draft of this document was reviewed and several additions made.  There were several changes proposed to the committee description in the Senate Standing Rules (Article II, Section 6.o):  add strategic planning and safety & security in the duties; change the mandated Space Allocation and Utilization Report to biennial.

University Budget Report (C3).  Rachel Smith presented the University Budget Report that Provost Jones will present at the Faculty Senate Plenary Meeting on October 18.  It was suggested that more information be included on the College of Medicine budget.  Rachel said that these changes would be made before the report is submitted to the Senate Office.

Construction Report (C1).  Ford Stryker answered questions concerning the report to be presented in the Senate Plenary session on September 6.

Facilities and Administration Rates Distribution (A6).  UPC reviewed the Informational Report presented on April 4/28/2015.  Gavin Robertson and Jim Adair will take the lead on this item.  Several issues surfaced that UPC members considered important to investigate:

        1. Is the information provided by each college current?
        2. How are funds retained by the Dean used?  What is the justification for keeping the funds instead of distributing to departments and faculty?   Notifying faculty how the funds are used is important for transparency.  There does not need to be uniformity across all units and colleges.  But faculty needs to be informed.
        3. Some colleges listed RIF returns to faculty are available upon request.  Do faculty know that they can request funds?
        4. Are the funds retained by the Dean being used as matching funds for new grants?  Are the funds being used to support new initiatives, fund preliminary research, or to retain faculty?  What are the metrics to track the success of the strategy?
        5. Federal grants are limiting the allowed types of expenditures.  This means that faculty researchers are incurring costs but RIF funding has not changed.

It was decided that only the use of funds at the college/unit level will be investigated.  Deans will be contacted to update the tabulated data and will also be asked to provide additional information.  Gavin and Jim will prepare a draft memo for discussion at the next UPC meeting.

It was decided that it is important to have a presentative from Planning and Institutional Research (PIR) attend each UPC meeting and give an update on the progress of the Implementation Committee.  Laura will contact the PIR Office to request that a representative attend each UPC meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 AM

Prepared by Laura Pauley

back to top