Meeting Minutes

Admissions, Records, Scheduling and Student Aid


October 17, 2017

Members Present:

Mary Beth Williams, James Jaap, Steven Andelin, Maura Sheen, Wei Fan-Chen, Douglas Wolfe, Jake Springer, Clark Brigger

Members Absent:

Robert Kubat, Anna Griswold, Charles Abdalla, Shuang Shen, Darryl Thomas, Harold Hayford, Victoria Braithwaite

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The minutes of the September 12, 2017 minutes were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Brief report from Chairs and Officers meeting.

OLD BUSINESS

None.

NEW BUSINESS

Charge A1, concerning the new university bulletin, was addressed. The committee heard a brief presentation that detailed the vendor, updates, and rollout of a new University Bulletin for Penn State. ARSSA was charged with sponsoring a bill approving the new University Bulletin alongside an informational presentation for Faculty Senate. It was decided that, if passed, Committee Member Kubat would be giving the presentation at the December meeting together with the Bulletin committee chair Alan Rieck. The new interface was discussed as well as the timeline for the rollout, which would be in the 2018-2019 school year. The new bulletin will continually be updated and much more user-friendly. Any interested party is encouraged to experiment with current bulletins by the same vendor, such as the University of California – Berkeley. Will continue to be updated, as the Bulletin should currently be. The motion to put it to the floor was approved.

Charge A2, requested by ACUE, was the alignment of Faculty Senate policy 83-80 (2), (3) and 58-50 (1). 83-80 applies to whenever a person hits 60 credits, and states that the last 60 credits of a graduate’s degree must have been earned in the five years previous to graduation. The proposed change is to 58-50 (1), which could newly require any student applying for re-enrollment to the university, not a specific program, to have been a student within the past five years. It was discussed whether academic programs truly change within five years, and if any student applying for re-enrollment would still be fit. An example of taking a higher-level mathematics course after five or more years away from lower mathematics courses was presented. The committee did not see inconsistency between the two policies, as many potential problems are by specific college and program, not the university in general which is the focus of 58-50 (1). A motion passed to put the policy under review but signal we are not in favor of only adding the requested line. Chair Williams was charged by the committee to work on edits and sending out successive drafts to the committee for review up to the December meeting.

Charge A3 was to change “provisional” to “conditional student” in Faculty Senate policies 02-50 and 12-00. It was made known that Lionpath required this to be changed to “DUS with conditions”. A provisional student is one that may have been admitted without the traditional qualifications. The committee recognized that there are many policies that use “provisional” which must also be revised. The question was raised as to whether this sort of task should this be under the role of an office or a committee? Another question was raised as to any Federal Aid legislation mentioning provisional students and conditional students. Chair Williams was requested to attain any federal language concerning provisional and conditional to make sure there would be no problems. “DUS Students with Conditions” vs “Conditional students”. Chair Williams was also charged with finding where provisional is in the legislation, and making the changes without showing all specific policies to the committee in the hopes of saving time.

Charge A4 was to discuss Faculty Senate Policy 82-20 concerning General Education requirements and major requirements are made when that student enters the major. This policy makes general education, which are also entrance to major requirements, fluid for current students attempting entrance into a program. Discussion concerning certain colleges began, such as the College of Education’s specific situation with state certification requirements. Committee member Shea mentioned how the College of Communications previously “grandfathered” students into the program when they changed the Entrance to Major requirements, and did not institute them until a new class had entered the university. Discussion was also had as to whether this is a large problem and if it should just be waived by deans in a case-by-case basis. Benchmarked schools are mixed, largely on the side of fluid general education requirements. Questions were raised as to if any student has been denied due to this issue, and what kind of changes have been made in colleges throughout the year. Questions concerning the possibility for other campuses to offer these changed courses in such short notice were also raised. The committee was split on the pros and cons. Two other committees (Committee on Curricular Affairs, Committee on Undergraduate Education) are looking at it. ARSSA was tasked with summarizing our discussion and having the other two committees look at it.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:46 a.m.

Jake Springer
back to top


September 12, 2017

Members Present: Steven Andelin, Victoria Braithwaite, Clark Brigger, Wei-fan Chen, Anna Griswold, Harold Hayford, James Jaap, Robert Kubat, Maura Shea, Jake Springer, Mary Beth Williams, Douglas Wolfe

Members Absent: Shuang Shen, Darryl Thomas

Guests: None.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The minutes of the April 25, 2017 minutes were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Chair Mary Beth Williams welcomed everyone to the committee and members introduced themselves.

OLD BUSINESS

None.

NEW BUSINESS

The committee discussed committee charges for the 2017-18 Academic Year.  Charge A1 is a recommendation coming from ACUE requesting that the committee consider the alignment of general education and major requirements with the year the student enters the university.   The recommendation is in response to consequences from the implementation of LionPATH.  Students now can request entrance to major at a point when they satisfy all the requirements for a chosen major, and this can vary among students.  Problems have arisen concerning majors with enrollment controls and majors that have undergone recent curricular changes.   At present, if a program has undergone enrollment control changes or curricular changes, students cannot be grandfathered into an older version of the major since the student had not completed the entrance to major process.  Academic planning for students enrolled in DUS may become rather complex for students wishing to enroll in majors with enrollment controls.  Chair Williams will pull discussion on this item from ongoing ACUE meetings and it was agreed that this issue should remain at the top of the committee charge list.

Committee charge A2 is a request to prepare an informational report entitled “Progress Report on LionPATH.”  The report should highlight areas of improvement, as well as issues of ongoing concern.  Clark Brigger reminded the committee that there exists an Office of LionPATH Development and Maintenance (LPDM) which is housed under the Office of the University Registrar.   He suggested that the report be prepared in part by that office.  In order to lend credibility to the endeavor, Robert Kubat suggested that this report be a shared venture by a joint group consisting of members of the LPDM and also personnel from a governance committee under Senior Vice President David Grey of the University Office of Finance and Business.

Committee charge A3 concerns a committee review of all senate policies and removal of any references to e-Lion or ISIS.  Chair Williams performed a search of senate policies and found only one reference (in 48-39.)  In this instance, it was proposed that the removal of the clause making reference to e-Lion was sufficient for revision and the committee concurred.   The committee decided that policies found in subsequent searches could be remediated and voted on by email.  The committee will prepare a legislative report on these affected policies and include references to LionPATH where appropriate.

Policy 54-40 on academic suspension is under consideration again this year (charge A4.)   There is concern with the need for consideration of whether an exception may be granted by permitting the dean of the college to waive one term of suspension when warranted.  In addition, there are issues related to the timing of grade reporting that affect when the students at risk of having their GPA fall below 2.0 to officially become “suspended”.  In some cases, semesters may pass before the affected students are even made aware that they are suspended.  The assignment of NG (no grade) or DF (deferred grade) pose additional problems affecting the status of student at risk of suspension.  It was also revealed that there is no actual senate policy that advises on the timeframe for submission of student grades by faculty (AAPPM policy G-1 specifies procedures for grade reporting.)  It was proposed that ARSSA consider 1) drafting an advisory policy on the timeframe for grade submissions, and 2) the formation of a subcommittee to examine the academic suspension issue.  It was recommended that David Smith, Associate Dean for Advising and Executive Director of DUS be invited as a resource person.   Chair Williams will send an email soliciting names of those wishing to serve on this subcommittee.

Charge A5, concerns the issue of students petitioning for retroactive registration in a course.  The committee is planning to jointly draft legislation with the Committee on Undergraduate Education that would place limitations on the number of classes and/or semesters for which a student can make such a petition.  There are numerous liability considerations relating to the practice of students not officially registering or auditing a course, but just physically attending the class.  These include risks related to disease exposure, fire safety, classroom space, etc.

Due to lack of time, committee charges A6 (freshman grade forgiveness policy under 47-80) and A7 (revisions to 02-50 concerning degree-seeking provisional students) were deferred until the October meeting of the standing committee, as was an additional request to look at 58-50 (Conditions for Re-enrollment as a Degree Seeking Candidate) to align with 83-80 (Limitations on Source and Time for Credit Acquisition).  The committee briefly discussed the timeline and point persons for the committee’s four mandated reports.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:33AM.

Harold Hayford


April 25, 2017

Members Present: Steven Andelin, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Wei-Fan Chen, Maura Ellsworth, Galen Grimes, Michel M. Haigh, Harold Hayford, Robert Kubat, Themis Matsoukas, George Samuel

Members Absent:  Charles Abdalla, Daniel Beaver, Anna M. Griswold, Wendell Franklin, Doug Wolfe

  1. Call to order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30 a.m.
  2. Approval of the March 2017 meeting minutes. The March 2017 ARSSA meeting minutes were approved.
  3. Old Business
    1. Update on Charge A5– 47-80 – repeating courses. George Samuel presented the most recent version of the proposed “freshmen forgiveness” report that was updated by UPUA. The current document included comments made at the March meeting. One issue that was discussed was the issue concerning retroactive late drop and withdrawals. It was also noted having a maximum of 9 credits of course forgiveness as proposed puts 4-credit courses (such as calculus and lab science courses) repeatable fewer times than 3-credit courses. However, keeping the policy simple will allow for things like that to be up to ACUE for the implementation. Clark Brigger recommended making this report an item for next year’s committee. Martha Aynardi recommended ACUE have a look at proposed report. The report clarifies that the policy is intended to apply to students who have 27 credits or less and are not yet admitted to major. That may pose some unforeseen issues for transfer students, however. Samuel will touch base with the new chair of ARSSA closer to the fall semester to discuss the next steps.
    2. Policy 54-00– Academic warning. More data needs to be reviewed by the university registrar. Charge will continue to be addressed by next year’s ARSSA committee.
    3. Articulation agreement 5-year review update. Six of the seven agreements reviewed this year were dropped. Haigh put the information on psu.box and provided the list to Clark’s office in order for the website to be updated.
  4. New Business. None.
  5. Adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 9:51AM.

March 14, 2017 (Rescheduled for March 21, 2017)

Members Present: Charles Abdalla, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Maura Ellsworth, Galen Grimes, Anna M. Griswold, Michel M. Haigh, Harold Hayford, Robert Kubat, Themis Matsoukas, George Samuel.

Members Absent: Daniel Beaver, Steven Andelin, Wendell Franklin, Doug Wolfe

  1. Call to order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30AM
  2. Approval of the January 2017 meeting minutes – The January 2017 ARSSA meeting minutes were approved.
  3. Old Business
    1. Update on Priority Enrollment report and Chair Haigh’s meeting with Dr. Pangborn. The University Office on Undergraduate Education has decided to remove ARSSA from the priority enrollment process after this year. Moving forward, the APPM C-2 will be updated. Groups will now send requests to ACUE to receive priority enrollment. The ROTC recommendations made by ARSSA have been removed. Revised informational report was approved to move forward.
    2. Update on Charge A5 – Senate Policy 47-80 – repeating courses
      Discussion of proposal with UPUA students focused on justification need for policy based on difficulty students having in achieving GPA requirements for majors with controls. Students are not looking as GPA boost, per se. The current policy update proposes nine-credits of freshmen forgiveness. Questions remain on whether to just update policy 47-80 or create new policy. There were also questions remaining on how this change would apply to new students. One suggestion for implementation was making sure the petitions were processed by the spring semester of sophomore year. There were concerns of how detailed and formal the petition approval process needs to be (just advisor approval or more paperwork). There are no financial aid concerns per VP Anna Griswold at this juncture.Actual language needs to be developed and melded into policy 47-80. Draft report needs to be cleaned-up and then shared with senate Committee on Undergraduate Education. An update will be provided in April once UPUA meets with Haigh to determine next steps.
    3. Update on memo sent to CC&R discussing updates to the senate committee info.
      CC&R is apparently ready to discuss whether the University Registrar, the Executive Director for Student Aid, and the Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions can be voting members of the ARSSA standing committee. They will also be updating Senate Policy 6-20 to include the articulation agreement info rather than it being in the committee information.
    4. Charge A4 – International Student NSO.
      International Student NSO. Contacted Global Programs Subcommittee. Senate Chair Jim S. asked them to take the lead… Will co-sponsor a report when the information is provided back to ARSSA. ACUE has task force that will guide how NSO will accommodate international Students in light of Global Programs roll-out of changes. No report will probably be needed at this time.
    5. Charge C4 – HS Students Enrolled in Nondegree Credits Report.
      Clark Brigger presented a draft report to committee. The committee supported sending the report to the Senate Council pending a few edits.
    6. Policy 54-00 – Academic Warning Policy
      ACUE has charged a subcommittee to look at this issue and a pilot is being implemented for Spring 2017. One issue relates to student athletes (summer credits are not presently included in overall GPA). It will probably be best to wait until ACUE communicates results before deciding how to proceed.
    7. Articulation agreement 5-year review update
      Deadline for renewing agreement is this Friday, March 24, 2017. Two colleges had not responded (College of Earth and Mineral Science & College of Engineering). It is expected that seven or eight agreements will likely be dropped. The list will then be forwarded to the University Office of Admissions for updating the website.
  4. New Business  
    1. Updating policy 34-68 – Auditing Courses.
      The section on Drop-Add of this policy has old language and wasn’t updated when Drop-Add policy was revised earlier this year. Haigh has proposed revising wording in section “1. Auditing” phrase starting with “first 10 calendar days…” and replaced with “add period.” The committee voted for approval.
  5.  Adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 10:11AM.

back to top


January 24, 2017

Members Present: Charles Abdalla, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Maura Ellsworth, Wendell Franklin, Galen Grimes, Anna M. Griswold, Michel M. Haigh, Harold Hayford, Robert Kubat, Themis Matsoukas, George Samuel.

Members Absent: Daniel Beaver, Douglas Wolfe, Wei-fan Chen, Steven Andelin

  1. Call to order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30AM
  2. Approval of the December 2016 meeting minutes – The December ARSSA meeting minutes were approved.
  3. Old Business
    Charge C1 – Reserved Spaces Report

      1. . See report provided. On full senate agenda but will not be presented.

Charge B3 – “Informational report about military enrollment, scholarships, etc.”

    On full senate agenda. Only 5 minutes for presentation. Dr. Clark will be on hand for questions, Haigh will present.

Charge A3 – Scholarship/Endowment/Fundraising Report.

    1. On full senate agenda. Haigh will introduce Anna. They developed a short script to present.

Update on Priority Enrollment subcommittee report.

    1. It was questioned whether this report should be informational or advisory/consultative. Senate Councilor Aynardi indicated Senate Council would consider report recommendations if they are well supported. Chair Haigh stated that certain units had still not yet provided the subcommittee with data required to complete the report. It was also noted it would be helpful if ACUE’s AAPPM-C2 included guidance for carrying out policy. This is one item that could be added if the report were to become advisory/consultative.  Also, it is not clear how students should be counted if they fall under multiple categories so as to prevent artificial inflation of numbers. The report was passed. And the groups in the report were granted priority enrollment for another five years.

Update on Charge A5– 47-80 – Repeating Courses.

    1. David Smith provided data about the most frequent courses late dropped, but it was not presented by year. The data set is not useful to help with the Freshmen Forgiveness. Haigh will continue to work with the UPUA membership on developing a Freshmen Forgiveness policy to present to ARSSA and UE.

Update on memo sent to CC&R discussing updates to the senate committee info.

    1. – No response from CC&R, yet.

Charge A4 – International Student NSO.

    1. Senate Chair Strauss charged the senate Global Programs Standing Committee to provide this report rather than ARSSA leading the charge. ARSSA will co-sponsor this report. There has been no update from the Global Programs committee on the report.

Charge C4 – HS Students Enrolled in Nondegree Credits Report.

    1. Clark Brigger is running data and will have report ready for March meeting. Aynardi stated there is a problem with students that have high school credits through PSU coming into Berks destined for Smeal who must transfer within a proper window of credits and student needs to transfer early because of having taken more credits and were not informed of this need to transfer until it was too late. In essence they need to take extra semester due to having taken extra PSU courses in high school. Brigger recommended that Aynardi contact Penny Carlsen concerning this issue.

New Business
54-00 policy

    1. (strike the reference to summer credits) – ARSSA will co-sponsor report with Undergraduate Education. ACUE has a subcommittee working through the implementation issues that developed this spring when the report was run. Haigh will continue to work with Robert Kubat and David Smith to see how to draft updates to the policy (if needed).

Articulation agreement 5-year review update

    1. – underway. Most agreements reviewed are from international institutions.

Adjourn.

    1. The meeting adjourned at 10:13 AM

back to top


December 6, 2016

Members Present: Charles Abdalla, Steven Andelin, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Wei-fan Chen, Maura Ellsworth, Galen Grimes, Anna M. Griswold, Michel M. Haigh, Harold Hayford, George Samuel, Themis Matsoukas, Frederic Weber, Douglas Wolfe

Members Absent: Daniel Beaver, Robert Kubat

Guests: Dr. Robert Pangborn; Dr. Brian Clark

  1. Call to order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30AM 
  2. Approval of the October 2016 meeting minutes. Two typographical errors were corrected. The October ARSSA meeting minutes were approved with suggested corrections. 
  3. Old Business
    1. Charge C1 – Reserved Spaces Report. Dr. Pangborn presented the report and answered questions (15 minutes allotted). Report approved by committee as informational report for full senate. Dr. Pangborn provided a historical overview of the development of the report, which was made in the 1980s as a response to increasing requests for reserved spaces coming from multiple university offices. University Senate took responsibility for creating annual report. Dr. Pangborn provided extra documentation concerning tracking of performance of those awarded spaces. Committee approved the number of proposed spaces for the next academic year. Committee then approved moving the report forward to senate office for inclusion in the January plenary meeting of the university senate.
    2. Revised Charge B3 – “Informational report about military enrollment, scholarships, etc.” Dr. Brian Clark presented the report and answered questions (15 minutes allotted). Dr. Clark provided a historical overview of process used for determining financial award for veterans. The committee recommend adding glossary at end of the report, specifically to define the terms ‘veteran’, ‘service member,’ and ‘dependent.’ The information presented in one of the tables needed updated according to Dr. Clark. Committee voted to move report forward for possible inclusion on January plenary meeting of the senate.
    3. Charge A3 – Scholarship/Endowment/Fundraising Report. Anna Griswold presented the report and answered questions. Report originally slated as informational but may be presented as an advisory/consultative recommendation. Martha Aynardi suggested inserting glossary of terms at end of report. Aynardi also suggested that specification of the age of institution would be useful information in benchmarking comparisons to other Big 10 institutions (as older institutions tend to have larger endowments). Abdalla recommended adding an asterisk to denote other land-grant institutions as this would be informative in providing a comparison to Penn State.
      Other suggested recommendations: ARSSA recommend the university continue with the fundraising strategies for student scholarship support and compare current progress to the success of the last two campaigns. ARSSA recommended the university continue to increase the percent of students receiving endowed scholarships to at least 18 percent without reducing award (currently 15 percent). Also, for the past two campaigns cycles, student scholarship awards represented 24 percent and 25 percent of total raised, respectively. ARSSA recommend the university set a goal of “at least 25 percent” of the total endowment raised be set aside for student scholarships. The committee approved sending the report forward with suggested changes.
    4. Legislation Reports of Policies 48-40 and 48-50 on full senate agenda
    5. Update on Priority Enrollment subcommittee (5 minutes) – the subcommittee met at the end of the meeting to discuss how to move forward. An update will be provided at the January meeting.
    6. Update on Charge A5 – 47-80 – repeating courses
      ARSSA learned of a potential creation of a parallel policy to policy 47-80 that would provide a certain number of freshmen forgiveness credits (7 credits proposed), instead of only using the highest grade earned for a repeated course.
    7. Update on memo sent to CC&R discussing updates to the senate committee info. Have not heard back about this, but it was sent and will update when there is one.
  4. New Business
    1. Charge A4 – Discussion on “Facilitating protocol or procedures whereby new International Students can schedule fully or partially during regular NSO, via Skype or other method with Advisors, so they are not at the end of the line for course scheduling.” Advisory report due in January to present for the March meeting (30 minutes for discussion – if there’s this much time). Clark Brigger recommends this report start with the Senate Committee for Global Programs as the Office of Global Programs have oversight of NSO programming for international students. It was suggested they use the world campus process for ideas. George Samuel (ARSSA student representative) suggested looking at something other than Skype due to worldwide network reliability issues. He suggested that UPUA and the Senate Committee on Student Life is also looking into this issue. UPUA is looking at developing an online module specifically designed for international students.
    2. Charge C4 – HS Students Enrolled in Nondegree Credits Report. This report will also need to be submitted during the spring semester. 
  5. Other Items of Concern: Martha Aynardi shared a problem concerning approval of transfer courses. This is holding up awarding of scholarships to incoming transfer students. Anna Griswold indicated this will no longer be an issue as the CSRS (Course Substitution Request System) will be interfaced with LionPath within the very near future.
    Douglas Wolfe indicated a problem with students receiving third-party loans and scholarships due to LionPath. Anna Griswold provided information about related ongoing problems and a possible timeline for resolution. 
  6. Adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 10:32 a.m.

back to top


October 18, 2016

Members Present: Charles Abdalla, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Wei-fan Chen, Maura Ellsworth, Galen Grimes, Anna M. Griswold, Michel M. Haigh, Harold Hayford, Robert A. Kubat, George Samuel, Themis Matsoukas, Douglas Wolfe

Members Absent:  Daniel Beaver, Madhuri Desai

Guests: Samantha Geisinger, Alex Shockley (student representatives)

      1. Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30AM
      2. Approval of the Meeting Minutes: Douglas Wolfe noted that the Raise.me Scholarship is open to students in grades 9 – 12, not 10 – 12 as stated in the draft minutes. The minutes of the September 6, 2016 meeting were approved with corrections.
      3. Old Business
        1. Update on Priority Scheduling Letter. Executive Director for Academic Services and Assessment, Penny Carlson, notified Chair Haigh that the LionPATH query to pull population counts of students who are receiving priority registration will be available shortly. If the information is correct, college/campus registrars will be notified of its release in time to comply with the November 7, 2016 deadline. Haigh had sent letters to the representatives of different groups (e.g., the pre med advisor) on 10/8/16 requesting justification for each group who currently receives priority registration with a response deadline of 11/7/16. Haigh suggested a subcommittee be formed to review the information provided by all units. The subcommittee is comprised of Doug Wolfe, Martha Anyardi, Harold Hayford, and Chair Haigh.  University Registrar, Robert Kubat, reminded the committee that veterans receive priority scheduling via state and federal law.
        2. me Scholarship Report. This informational report is on the plenary meeting agenda. Jackie Edmondson, Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, is standing for questions with 5 minutes allotted.
        3. Admissions Processes Report. This informational report is on today’s plenary meeting agenda. Clark Brigger, Executive Director for Undergraduate Admissions, is standing for questions with 5 minutes allotted.
        4. Faculty Senate Scholarships Awarded to Undergraduates. An Informational report prepared by Anna Griswold, Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Education and Executive Director for Student Aid, is to be presented at the December, 6, 2016 ARSSA meeting. Griswold stated if ARSSA wishes to recommend a percentage of monies go for scholarships, it must be proposed as an advisory/consultative report rather than an informational report. Douglas Wolfe mentioned that verification of the awarding of endowed monies with correct recipients would be useful.
        5. Update on Policy 47-80 – repeating courses. Chair Haigh reviewed documents on ANGEL from senate committee on Undergraduate Education concerning this policy.  Presently, all grades earned in the course are recorded on the student’s record and used to calculate the student’s GPA. The present wording of the policy provides no information on which earned grade should be recorded on student record. Senate Chair James Strauss charged the ARSSA committee to discuss changing the policy 47-80 to record only to the highest earned grade on the student record, but did not provide a source of the formal request for this policy change. Chair Haigh reminded the committee that the senate committee on Undergraduate Education does not have motivation to change current policy. Several student senate representatives interjected to provide information for the committee to consider, however, the students had failed to follow procedure to request and obtain permission to speak at the committee meeting. Haigh requested the students submit a proposal including evidentiary data and it will be forwarded to all senate committees that would need to approve (UE/ARSSA). Haigh warned that there will no space on the December committee meeting agenda for them to make a presentation.
      4. New Business
        1. Articulation Agreement Review Report. This informational report was prepared by Chair Haigh for committee consideration. The committee roster at the end of the report needed updated. The committee voted to approve the report with the suggested edit and send it forward for inclusion on the December 6, 2016 plenary agenda.
        2. Update on Military Enrollment, Scholarships. The original charge A6 for the committee was to only look at benefits provided to veterans through the World Campus, however Chair Haigh requested information from the Office of Veterans Programs for information concerning benefits for veterans, university-wide in order to extend the scope of the report. The report will also be co-sponsored with the Educational Equity and Campus Environment Committee.
        3. Update on Committee Charge B4 – 800-Level Courses Used in Undergraduate Degree Programs. Senate Chair Strauss requested this charge with no specificity. It was discovered that 800-level courses are only involved with IUG degree programs, as would be expected.  Haigh suggested that the committee consider charge B4 resolved with on action required.
        4. Revisions to Senate Policy 48-40 and 48-50.  It was recommended that clarification when a grade of ‘NG’ is to be used should be included in the policy. The committee agreed to vote via ANGEL to move this legislative report forward for inclusion for inclusion on the December 6, 2016 plenary agenda. Undergrad Ed was also voting on this report at their meeting.
        5. Approve memo that will be sent to CC&R discussing updates to the senate committee info. It was noted Anna Griswold’s title needed to be revised to “Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Education and Executive Director for Student Aid.” Clark Brigger, Anna Griswold, and Bob Kubat are, in fact, presidential appointees to the committee, as opposed to CC&R appointees which is currently stated in the document.  Clarification of voting rights for these members needs to be considered since there are conflicting phrases in the standing rules and bylaws in addition to information posted on the senate website. The committee is requesting clarification in the senate constitution on voting status of ex-officio member (by definition of the title, these members should have voting rights). The memo corrects the list of mandated reports for the committee, plus it makes a case to include an additional item e, annual update on articulation agreements.  Information stricken from the committee information should be added to policy 6-20.
        6. Preview items for December 6, 2016 committee meeting. The committee will be reviewing the report for charge C1 – Reserved Spaces Report. Dr. Clark will also be at the meeting to visit about the report on Veterans programs.
      5. Adjournment  The meeting was adjourned at 10:20AM.

back to top


September 6, 2016

Members Present: Charles Abdalla, Martha Aynardi, Clark Brigger, Wei-fan Chen, Maura Ellsworth, Galen Grimes, Anna M. Griswold, Michel Haigh, Harold Hayford, Robert A. Kubat, George Samuel, Douglas Wolfe

Members Absent:  Daniel Beaver, Madhuri Desai, Themis Matsoukas

Guests: Jackie Edmondson

  1. Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 8:30AM
  2. Approval of the Meeting Minutes:  Chair Haigh reminded the committee that the suggested wording changes to the Academic Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual (AAPPM) Policy C-2 document that were discussed at the April meeting are actually not within the University Faculty Senate purview. The minutes of the April 10, 2016 meeting were approved.
  3. Old Business 
    1. Priority Scheduling Letter. The committee discussed the recently updated priority scheduling letter based on input from committee members and other stakeholders over the summer. The committee approved the proposed changes to the priority scheduling letter. University Registrar, Robert Kubat, and Chair Haigh will make a determination of who should receive the letter.
    2. Senate Policy 54-00. The committee was asked for final input on the proposed changes to senate policy 54-00 that was on the agenda for today’s plenary meeting of the University Faculty Senate. Chair Haigh thanked committee members for commentary and suggestions provided over the summer.
  4. New Business 
    1. Raise.me Report. Dr Jackie Edmondson, Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, made a presentation on a planned informational report on a scholarship program called Raise.me that is slated for the October plenary senate meeting. Raise.me provides opportunities for high school students to earn micro-scholarships toward their college education. Raise.me is an innovative way to address issues related to access, diversity, affordability, student retention, and academic success. Edmondson indicated as a result of the first year of the program, participating high school students chose to enroll at five different PSU campuses as a result of their participation in the program. The following year, the program was offered to high school students in the Fayette campus and Altoona college service areas. This year, the program is being directed toward high school students in the Pittsburgh service areas. The program monitors the high school grades of those participating and determines where students have problems. Edmondson noted the program looks at profiles for students who have high potential but may not be considering enrolling at PSU due to costs. Students can be eligible for scholarships starting in 10th grade. Students do not receive special PSU enrollment consideration as the hope is they would better qualify for admission based on the merits of their high school performance that was bolstered by participating in the program. Scholarship monies can be stacked with other scholarship monies, up to, but not exceeding the cost of attendance. Minor wording changes were suggested by committee members. Chair Haigh will work with Edmondson on a final draft the report before it goes to the senate office. The committee voted to approve the report.
    2. Admission Process Report. ARSSA committee member, Clark Brigger, Executive Director for Undergraduate Admissions, presented a draft of an information enrollment report focusing on PSU admission processes. Enrollment management is faced with a daunting task of attempting to predict the enrollment decisions of those choosing to attend college who have received offers from multiple institutions. The task becomes even more complex when factors such as PA residential versus nonresidential status, first-year student versus transfer students, diversity issues, Pell grant eligibility, academic profile, retention and graduation rate are considered. Marketing is aimed at students with the hopes of them physically visiting campuses as a means of increasing chances of enrollment. PSU has joined with the Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success. Students who apply to the coalition can use the coalition’s application information to complete remaining information for any participating school’s enrollment application.  The committee voted to approve the report with a planned delivery at the October plenary meeting of the university senate.
    3. Scholarship Endowment Inventory. One of ARSSA’s committee charges is to inventory the current scholarship endowment and yearly pay out, benchmark peer institutions for comparison, benchmark and investigate previous Capital Campaign proportion for scholarships and provide guideline recommendations for an allocation range for upcoming campaign. To assist the committee in meeting its charge, Anna Griswold, Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Education and Executive Director for Student Aid, is working with the PSU Development Office to determine the actual monetary value of the PSU endowment compared to peer institutions. She has proposed looking at what percentage of the endowment is dedicated to scholarship and has obtained charts on growth of the endowment as well as institutional funding that is available to students. Many different pockets of money should be considered, e.g. travel abroad, and similar programs. Griswold is organizing data and planning to update the committee with report status at the next ARSSA meeting in October with hopes of including an informational report on the agenda for the December plenary meeting of the senate. 
    4. Senate Policy 47-80, Repeating courses. Senate Chair James Strauss has asked the committee to consider a change to senate policy 47-80 with respect to including only the most recently earned grade for a repeated course when calculating a student’s grade point average. The Senate committee on Undergraduate Education has discussed this issue and communicated that this change is unlikely to be approved by that committee. Student senators serving on ARSSA expressed interest in proposing this change to the policy (several faculty members expressed rationale supporting not changing the policy). It was suggested that benchmarking the frequency of course repeats and how repeating courses affects student financial aid would be helpful in determining the feasibility of moving forward with a possible policy change.
    5. Articulation Agreement – Northampton Community College. The committee voted to approve a proposed articulation agreement between PSU and Northampton Community College that was sent from the Office of Undergraduate Education.
  5. Adjournment.

back to top